Subfields of complex numbers and the inclusion of rational#s

In summary, the proof shows that every subfield of the field of complex numbers must contain every rational number. This is because if there was a rational number that was not an element of the subfield, it would lead to a contradiction. By reasoning positively, it can be shown that the subfield must also contain all natural numbers, integers, and eventually all rational numbers. It is important to note that subfields of the complex numbers have characteristic zero, which means that the sum of any number of ones in the subfield will never equal zero. This understanding helps to solidify the proof.
VrhoZna

Homework Statement

Prove that each subfield of the field of complex numbers contains every rational number. '

From Hoffman and Kunze's Linear Algebra Chapter 1 Section 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose there was a subfield of the complex numbers that did not contain every rational number (from now on referred to as F), that is there is a rational number p/q, where p and q denote integers, that is not an element of F. Then it follows that either p ∉ F or 1/q ∉ F (as their product is not an element.) We consider each case separately.

Suppose p ∉ F, then (p - 1) ∉ F as (p - 1 + 1 = p) and similarly (p - 2) ∉ F, we proceed stepwise and find that p - (p - 1) ∉ F but of course (p - (p - 1)) = 1 contradicting our assumption that F is a subfield of the complex numbers.

Now suppose 1/q ∉ F, then q ∉ F (as there would be no element x such that x*q = 1) and a similar argument as above finds 1 ∉ F contradicting our assumption that F is a subfield of the complex numbers. Thus every subfield of the complex numbers contains as elements every rational number.
[/B]
I feel my reasoning is correct but given that my knowledge of fields is limited to that narrow introduction in the section I'm not sure if any misunderstandings on my part have cropped up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks o.k., although the many indirect arguments are a bit confusing.
Why don't you reason positively? ##1 \in F## and ##char F = 0##, which means ##1+\ldots +1 \neq 0## no matter how many ##1## are added. This automatically results in ##\mathbb{Q}##: first ##\mathbb{N}##, then ##\mathbb{Z}## and finally ##\mathbb{Q}##. It's basically the same argument as yours, only without negations.

Likes VrhoZna
fresh_42 said:
Looks o.k., although the many indirect arguments are a bit confusing.
Why don't you reason positively? ##1 \in F## and ##char F = 0##, which means ##1+\ldots +1 \neq 0## no matter how many ##1## are added. This automatically results in ##\mathbb{Q}##: first ##\mathbb{N}##, then ##\mathbb{Z}## and finally ##\mathbb{Q}##. It's basically the same argument as yours, only without negations.
I suppose I hadn't realized the full implications of said subfields having characteristic zero at the time of writing the proof, but I understand a bit better now. Thank you for your answer.

Related to Subfields of complex numbers and the inclusion of rational#s

1. What are the subfields of complex numbers?

The subfields of complex numbers include the real numbers and the imaginary numbers. The real numbers consist of all numbers that can be expressed on a number line, including rational and irrational numbers. The imaginary numbers consist of numbers that can be expressed as a multiple of the imaginary unit, i, such as 2i or 5i.

2. How are rational numbers included in the complex numbers?

Rational numbers are included in the complex numbers through the real numbers. Since rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, they can also be expressed as a real number on the number line. Therefore, all rational numbers are also included in the complex numbers.

3. What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers?

Rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot. Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a fraction and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimals. Examples of irrational numbers include pi and the square root of 2.

4. Why are complex numbers important in mathematics?

Complex numbers are important in mathematics because they provide a way to solve equations that cannot be solved using only real numbers. They are also used in many areas of mathematics, such as in calculus, engineering, and physics, to represent and manipulate quantities that have both a real and imaginary component.

5. How are complex numbers represented?

Complex numbers are usually represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The real part represents the number's position on the number line, while the imaginary part represents its position on the y-axis. Complex numbers can also be represented using polar coordinates, where the magnitude and angle of the number are used to represent it.