Submitting an additional reference letter

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the speaker has submitted their graduate application for competitive programs with all reference letters except one from their thesis advisor. They have reached out to the programs, but one has not been accommodating and the speaker is worried about the potential consequences of following up. It is suggested that if there is a valid reason for the delay, the speaker's supervisor could reach out to the department. However, it is likely too late to secure the letter at this point. The speaker is advised to not appear as if they are hassling the department and thankfully, the graduate admissions chair has requested the letter to be emailed to them.
spaghetti3451
Hi, I've submitted my graduate application for some competitive programs and have had all my reference letters submitted. The deadline is now officially gone. However, I have not had my thesis advisor submit a letter of reference. I've talked to some of the programs and they have sent an invitation link for a reference letter to my thesis advisor.

However, there is one program which has not compromised. I've asked the graduate admissions coordinator, but she only mentioned that the deadline is over and that there is nothing she can do. I've emailed the chair of the admissions committee but she had not replied. Now I'm worried if the chair of the committee might get angry over my query and red-list me as a rejected applicant. :(

Should I still bother asking my thesis advisor to send a letter of reference by mail since there's been no reply from the chair of the committee?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like it's a lost cause at this point.

If there's a good reason that your supervisor was unable to write a reference letter (like he or she was sick or otherwise unavailable for an extended period of time) you could ask your supervisor to write to the department and explain the situation. But if they've already said that it's too late, then it likely is.

And following up like that probably wouldn't look good if you don't have a good reason (such as you just decided to ask others because you thought they had bigger names). Not that it would completely break your application. If you're a strong candidate, you're a strong candidate. But you probably don't want to come across as the guy who couldn't get his ducks in a row and now is hassling the department because of it.

Well, thankfully, the graduate admissions chair replied and asked me to email the letter to her. :)

Related to Submitting an additional reference letter

1. What is the purpose of submitting an additional reference letter?

Submitting an additional reference letter allows you to provide additional information and support for your application or research project. It can help strengthen your credentials and showcase your qualifications.

2. Who should I ask to write an additional reference letter?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can speak to your skills, knowledge, and character. This could be a previous supervisor, colleague, or professor who has worked closely with you.

3. Is it necessary to submit more than the required number of reference letters?

It is not necessary, but it can be beneficial. If you have a strong additional reference letter that adds valuable insights or highlights certain aspects of your qualifications, it can give you an edge over other applicants.

4. Can I submit a reference letter from a family member or friend?

No, it is not recommended to submit a reference letter from a family member or friend. It is important to have objective and unbiased references from individuals who have a professional relationship with you.

5. How should I submit an additional reference letter?

The submission process may vary depending on the application or project requirements. It is best to follow the instructions provided and submit the reference letter through the designated method, whether it be through email, online submission, or mail.