Substituting r/t for v or dr/dt?

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation is about defining kinematic quantities, specifically velocity, and the confusion surrounding its definition as either the instantaneous time rate of change of displacement or simply displacement divided by time. An example is given where the equation for velocity is used to solve for time, but the substitution of average velocity for instantaneous velocity is questioned. The conversation also raises questions about the dependence of these quantities on time and whether there is acceleration involved.
Mr Davis 97
I am a little confused about how we define the kinematic quantities that are rates. What is velocity defined as? Is it the instantaneous time rate of change of displacement, or is it simply displacement divided by time? Here is an example of where this problem comes up:

I need to solve the equation ##\displaystyle v = \omega r \sqrt{\frac{m_b}{m_s}}## for time. The only way I see of doing this is substituting ##\displaystyle \frac{r}{t}## for ##\displaystyle v## in order to cancel the two r's and solve for time. However, what gives me the right to make this substitution? Isn't ##\displaystyle \frac{r}{t}## just the average velocity, while ##\displaystyle \frac{dr}{dt}## is the instantaneous velocity? Why am I able to choose either or solely for my purposes at hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the actual problem and how these quantities depend on time? Is r a function of time? is omega a function of time?

Is there acceleration involved?

Related to Substituting r/t for v or dr/dt?

1. How is the substitution of r/t for v or dr/dt used in physics?

The substitution of r/t for v or dr/dt is used in physics to represent the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is commonly used in equations involving velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. Can r/t be substituted for v or dr/dt in all equations?

No, r/t can only be substituted for v or dr/dt in equations that involve the rate of change of an object's position over time. It cannot be used in equations that involve other variables such as force or mass.

3. What is the difference between using r/t and v or dr/dt in equations?

The main difference is that r/t represents the average rate of change over a given time interval, while v or dr/dt represent the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point in time. In some cases, using one over the other may give slightly different results.

4. Can r/t be substituted for v or dr/dt in all types of motion?

Yes, r/t can be substituted for v or dr/dt in all types of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. However, the specific equations used may vary depending on the type of motion.

5. How does the substitution of r/t for v or dr/dt affect the units in an equation?

The substitution of r/t for v or dr/dt does not affect the units in an equation. This is because both r/t and v or dr/dt have units of distance over time, so they can be easily interchanged without changing the overall units of the equation.