Substitution in double integral

In summary, the task is to use the given transformations to evaluate the double integral of (3x^2 + 14xy + 8y^2) dx dy for the region R in the first quadrant bounded by specific lines. The equations for x and y in terms of u and v are incorrectly expressed, but the correct approach is to calculate the reciprocal of the inverse jacobian in order to find the jacobian.
DWill

Homework Statement

Use the transformation u = 3x + 2y and v = x + 4y to evaluate:

The double integral of (3x^2 + 14xy + 8y^2) dx dy for the region R in the first quadrant bounded by the lines y = -(3/2)x + 1, y = -(3/2)x + 3, y = -(1/4)x, and y = (-1/4)x + 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first wrote the equations for x and y in terms of u and v and got:
x = (2u - v)/5, y = (3v - u)/10

Then I solved for the Jacobian and got 1/10. Next I saw that the region R has the following boundaries:
x = 2/3 - (2/3)y
x = 2 - (2/3)y
y = 0

Plugging in the equations I got earlier for x and y, I get the equivalent in terms of u and v:
u = 2
u = 6
v = u/3

So I set up my integral now like this:

Double integral of (u * v) * (1/10) dv du, with 2 <= u <= 6, and 0 <= v <= u/3. Solving this I get the answer 16/9, while the correct answer is 64/5. Which part(s) did I do wrong here? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check through all your working but it looks like you didn't express x and y in terms of u,v properly.

You don't have to express x and y in terms of u and v.

You can calculate the reciprocal of the 'inverse jacobian' (don't know if it's called that):

[tex]\left( \frac{ \partial(u,v)}{\partial(x,y)} \right)^{-1} = \frac{ \partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}[/tex]

So if you got an equation for u, and one for v, you can calculate [itex]\frac{ \partial(u,v)}{\partial(x,y)}[/itex] and then take it's reciprocal to find the jacobian [itex] \frac{ \partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}[/itex]

Related to Substitution in double integral

1. What is substitution in a double integral?

Substitution in a double integral is a technique used to simplify the integration of a function by replacing the variables in the integral with new variables. This new substitution can make the integral easier to solve, or it can transform the integral into a known form that can be evaluated using standard methods.

2. When should substitution be used in a double integral?

Substitution should be used in a double integral when the integrand involves complicated functions or multiple variables. It can also be used to transform the integral into a form that is easier to evaluate, such as using trigonometric substitutions or u-substitution.

3. How does substitution work in a double integral?

Substitution works by replacing the variables in the original integral with new variables, which transforms the integral into a new form. This new form can then be evaluated using standard integration techniques, such as the power rule, trigonometric identities, or integration by parts.

4. What is the difference between substitution and change of variables in a double integral?

Substitution and change of variables are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different techniques. Substitution involves replacing the variables in the integral with new variables, while change of variables involves changing the limits of integration and the integrand to match the new variables.

5. Are there any restrictions when using substitution in a double integral?

Yes, there are some restrictions when using substitution in a double integral. The new variables must be continuous and differentiable on the interval of integration, and the Jacobian determinant of the transformation must be non-zero. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate substitution to ensure the validity of the integral.

Back