Substitution to solve fourth order diff equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Substitution
In summary, the general solution of the given differential equation is $y(t)=\frac{t^4}{6}-t^2+C_1\cos\left(\sqrt{2}\,t\right)+C_2\sin\left( \sqrt{2}\,t\right)+C_3$ where $C_1,\,C_2$ and $C_3$ are arbitrary constants.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
pete078421's question from Math Help Forum,

Any help would wonderfully appreciated!

Find the General Solution of, \(\displaystyle\frac{d^4y}{dt^4}+2\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=4t^2\) by using the substitution \(\displaystyle z(t)=\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^2}\)

http://mathhelpforum.com/images/smilies/smile.png

Hi pete078421,

Using the given substitution you get,

\[\frac{d^2z}{dt^2}+2z=4t^2\]

First we shall find the complementary function for this differential equation. The auxiliary equation is,

\[m^2+2=0\]

\[\Rightarrow m=\pm i\sqrt{2}\]

Therefore the complementary function is,

\[z_{c}(t)=Ae^{i\sqrt{2}t}+Be^{-i\sqrt{2}t}\mbox{ where }A\mbox{ and }B\mbox{ are arbitrary constants.}\]

Now we shall seek for the particular integral.

\[\frac{d^2z}{dt^2}+2z=4t^2\]

Using differential operator notations we can write this as,

\[(D^{2}+2)z=4t^2\]

\[\Rightarrow z=\left(\frac{1}{D^{2}+2}\right)4t^2\]

\[\Rightarrow z=\frac{1}{2}\left(1-\frac{D^2}{2}+\left(\frac{D^2}{2}\right)^2-\left(\frac{D^2}{2}\right)^3+\cdots\right)4t^2\]

Therefore the particular integral is,

\[z_{p}(t)=2t^{2}-2\]

The general solution of the differential equation is,

\[z(t)=z_{p}(t)+z_{c}(t)\]

\[\therefore z(t)=2t^{2}-2+Ae^{i\sqrt{2}t}+Be^{-i\sqrt{2}t}\mbox{ where }A\mbox{ and }B\mbox{ are arbitrary constants.}\]

Since, \(\displaystyle z(t)=\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^2}\) we get,

\[\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^2}=2t^{2}-2+Ae^{i\sqrt{2}t}+Be^{-i\sqrt{2}t}\]

Integrating twice we get,

\[y(t)=\frac{t^4}{6}-t^2+C_1e^{i\sqrt{2}t}+C_2e^{-i\sqrt{2}t}+C_3\mbox{ where }C_1,\,C_2\mbox{ and }C_3\mbox{ are arbitrary constants.}\]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I wonder if pete078421 might prefer answers in real functions. That is, use $z_{c}=A\cos\left(\sqrt{2}\,t\right)+B\sin\left( \sqrt{2}\,t\right).$

FAQ: Substitution to solve fourth order diff equation

What is substitution and how is it used to solve fourth order differential equations?

Substitution is a technique used in mathematics to simplify complex expressions or equations. In the context of fourth order differential equations, substitution involves replacing the original variable with a new variable that can be easily integrated or solved for.

What are the steps involved in using substitution to solve a fourth order differential equation?

The first step is to identify the highest order derivative in the equation. Then, substitute this derivative with a new variable, typically denoted as u. The next step is to differentiate the new equation with respect to the original variable, and then solve for u. Finally, substitute the value of u back into the original equation to obtain the solution.

Can substitution be used to solve any fourth order differential equation?

No, substitution can only be used to solve fourth order differential equations that are separable, meaning that they can be expressed as a product of two functions, one of which depends only on the original variable and the other on the new variable u.

Are there any disadvantages to using substitution to solve fourth order differential equations?

One disadvantage is that substitution can sometimes lead to complex and unwieldy expressions, making it difficult to obtain the final solution. It also requires a good understanding of integration techniques and the ability to recognize patterns in the equation.

What other methods can be used to solve fourth order differential equations?

Other methods include using reduction of order, power series, or numerical techniques such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.