Successful Double Slit Experiment

In summary, the speaker successfully performed a double slit experiment using a comb, green electric tape, and a cheap ruby laser pointer. They also used a plastic cup as a base and achieved good results at a distance of five meters. They plan to post pictures and improve the appearance of the experiment, as well as try different laser pointers for different colored interference patterns.
Willis666
I performed a successful double slit experiment this morning. I'm doing it for my science fair, and I spent four hours last night trying to figure it out. I used every material I had that could be used. This morning, I woke up, rushed to the bathroom, and grabbed a comb. I used electical tape to cover up all the teeth, except for two little slits. I fired it off, and after some minor adjustments, Had an interference pattern on the wall.

This is what I would suggest anybody to do for a cheap double slit experiement!

I used:
A comb (one where the teeth are REALLY close together.)
Green electric tape (silver duct tape didn't work for some reason. I'm sure any non shiney one that absorbs the light well will work)
A cheap ruby laser pointer (litterally got it when I was around 7 for like five bucks.)
I used a plastice cup with the laser pointer taped on top of it for a base (read about it during my studies.)
Make sure you have at least a meter in between the screen and the laser if you want a good interference pattern. I got amazing results at like five meters.

I'll post pictures soon enough! I'm so excited I finally got this experiment to work, and it was much easier than what people always tell you (with the razor blades shaving the microscope slide.)

My next goal is to make it look prettier (it looks very "hewn together" right now.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also going to try out a few diffrent laser pointers so I can get different colors of interference patterns.

Related to Successful Double Slit Experiment

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of particles such as electrons and photons. It involves shooting a beam of particles through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it challenges our understanding of the fundamental nature of particles. It shows that particles can behave like waves, and can exhibit interference patterns, which was previously thought to only be possible for waves.

How is the double slit experiment performed?

The double slit experiment is performed by shooting a beam of particles through two parallel slits, usually made of a thin sheet of metal or glass. The particles then pass through the slits and create an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits.

What is the outcome of a successful double slit experiment?

The outcome of a successful double slit experiment is an interference pattern on the screen, which shows the wave-like behavior of the particles. This pattern consists of alternating bright and dark bands, where the bright bands represent areas of constructive interference and the dark bands represent areas of destructive interference.

What factors can affect the outcome of a double slit experiment?

The outcome of a double slit experiment can be affected by various factors, such as the wavelength of the particles, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Additionally, any external disruptions, such as vibrations or air currents, can also affect the interference pattern.