Sudden perturbation, particle in a box, ground state

In summary, the conversation discusses two scenarios where a particle in a box is perturbed by extending the box's size. In the first scenario, the particle is initially localized on one side of the box, while in the second scenario it is initially localized in the center. This difference in initial conditions leads to different solutions for the wave function and probability of the particle being in the ground state of the new, larger box. The conversation also mentions a mathematical approach to solving this problem and discusses the physical significance of extending the box from different sides.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi guys!
Suppose there's a particle in a box, initially in its ground state. Suppose that one chooses a system of coordinates such that the potential V(x) is 0 from 0 to L.
Suppose that one suddenly perturbate the system at a particular time so that V(x) becomes 0 from 0 to 2L.
I've calculated the probability for the particle to be in the ground state of the twice-bigger box as ##\frac{2^{3/2}}{3\pi}##.

Now suppose we solve a similar problem, where V(x) is initially worth 0 from -L/2 to L/2 and psi is in its ground state, and suddenly one expands the box so that V(x)=0 from -L to L.
Now the probability for the particle to be in the ground state of the 2L sized box is... ##\frac{2^3}{3\pi}##. Which is different from the 1st case. (I may not recall the exact values but I remember they differed).

However I'm having trouble understanding what's the difference physically in the 2 cases. To me it just looks like a 1 dimensional box of size L suddenly double its size, in both cases. So physically I don't understand why I get 2 different results as if there was a priviledged observer in the universe.
Mathematically I do understand that the overlap of the 2 wavefunctions (before and after the perturbation) are different in the 2 cases. It's just that physically I'm not grasping what's going on.

Could someone shed some light on this? Thanks.

P.S.: ##\psi _0(x)=\sqrt {\frac{2}{L}} \sin (\frac{\pi x}{L} )## for the ground state of the L sized box according to an observer whose coordinate system's origin is at the left wall.
If the origin of that coordinate system is set midway between the 2 walls, ##\psi _0(x)=\sqrt {\frac{2}{L}} \cos (\frac{\pi x}{L} )##.
##P=|\langle \psi _{\text {final}}| \psi _{\text {initial}} \rangle |^2##.

Physics news on Phys.org
They're different physical situations. You're right that in both cases we're dealing with a box of width 2L, but the initial conditions are different. In one case, the particle is localized in the left-hand side of the new larger box at the moment that the barriers go down; in the other case it is in localized in the center. The same Schrodinger's equation governs the evolution of the wave function either way, but (as with any differential equation) different initial conditions lead to different solutions.

Likes fluidistic
Ok thanks. I now see the difference physically.
Extending the box from 1 wall is not the same than extending it from both walls (I find it easier to visualize when I consider a localized particle in the box, like say in classical mechanics).

Try expanding the second box from [-L/2, +L/2] to [-L/2, +3L/2]. This should give you the same result as with expanding the first box from [0, L] to [0, 2L].

Last edited:
Likes Nugatory

Related to Sudden perturbation, particle in a box, ground state

1. What is a sudden perturbation in a particle in a box?

A sudden perturbation in a particle in a box is a sudden change in the external conditions or forces acting on the particle, causing it to deviate from its original state and behave differently.

2. What is a particle in a box?

A particle in a box is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a small box or container. The walls of the box act as a potential barrier, limiting the movement of the particle.

3. How does a sudden perturbation affect the ground state of a particle in a box?

A sudden perturbation can cause the ground state of a particle in a box to change, as the external forces may cause the particle to occupy a higher energy level or move to a different location within the box.

4. What is the ground state of a particle in a box?

The ground state of a particle in a box is the lowest energy state that the particle can occupy within the box. It is often referred to as the "zero-point energy" and is the most stable state for the particle.

5. How does the size of the box affect the ground state of a particle?

The size of the box can affect the ground state of a particle by changing the available energy levels and the probability of the particle occupying a certain location within the box. A larger box may have more energy levels, while a smaller box may have fewer, resulting in different ground state energies.