Sugar water tank problem (again)

Cs(0) = -e^(0/2740)C = -C = 0 -> C = 0so s = (137/e^(3t/2740)) - 1I'm not sure what you mean. How do you move the negative sign to the t side of the equation? And why do you keep it as a constant when you integrate?Sorry, I am just not seeing how you got the s=... part.I'm not sure what you mean. How do you move the negative sign to the t side of the equation? And why do you keep it
RossH
Thank you for any help that you can give me. I am very bad at differential equations and this one is really stumping me.

Homework Statement

A tank contains 2740 L of pure water. A solution that contains 0.05 kg of sugar per liter enters a tank at the rate 3 L/min The solution is mixed and drains from the tank at the same rate.

Homework Equations

I guess I need to solve for ds/dt, which I think would be something along the lines of
ds/dt=.15-3s/2740, or the rate at which the sugar enters minus the rate at which it leaves.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've found the equation above and I think that the solution is something like e^[(-3*t)/2740], but my online homework thing keeps saying that it is wrong. Also, that solutino doesn't work for s(0)=0 and subtracting one from the above equation does not work. Does anybody have any suggestions? I think I might be solving the differential equation wrong, but I'm sure that my integrating factor is correct. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
the rate of change will be the difference between the sugar in (conc of 0.05kg/l at 3L/M per min) & the sugar out (conc of tank)

I am guessing you have used s for the sugar in the tank?

one would expect it would start at zero and increase assymotically to the concentration of the incoming stream

inlet stream (conc c_0=0.05kg/L) sugar in
(ds/dt)_in = c_0*3L/min = 3*(0.05)
(ds/dt)_out = c_tank*3L/min = (s/2740)*3

so the differential equation looks correct
ds/dt=3*(0.05-s/2740) with initial condition s(0) = 0

(2740/3)*ds/dt = 2740*0.05-s

maybe show how you solve this & we can have a look at it

hint you could try the subtitution & variable change
u = s-2740*0.05

lanedance said:
the rate of change will be the difference between the sugar in (conc of 0.05kg/l at 3L/M per min) & the sugar out (conc of tank)

I am guessing you have used s for the sugar in the tank?

one would expect it would start at zero and increase assymotically to the concentration of the incoming stream

inlet stream (conc c_0=0.05kg/L) sugar in
(ds/dt)_in = c_0*3L/min = 3*(0.05)
(ds/dt)_out = c_tank*3L/min = (s/2740)*3

so the differential equation looks correct
ds/dt=3*(0.05-s/2740) with initial condition s(0) = 0

maybe show how you solve this & we can have a look at it

hint you could try the subtitution & variable change
u = s-2740*0.05

Yeah, I chose s for the amount of sugar in the tank.
Anyway, here is how I would try to solve this (probably wrong)
(2740/3)*ds/dt=2740*0.05-s
ds/dt=.15-3s/2740
ds/dt+3s/2740=.15 I(t)=e^(3t/2740)
ds/dt*e^(3t/2740)+(3s/2740)e^(3t/2740)=.15*e^(3t/2740)
integrate both sides:
e^(3t/2740)s=.15e^(3t/2740)*(2740/3)
simplify:
e^(3t/2740)s=137(e^3t/2740)
And this is where I get stuck. Because then I get that s(t)=137, which obviously is wrong. Sorry about the slow post.

i haven't used integrating factors for ages, but how about the substitution?

so if you have

let u = s-2740*0.05
then
du/dt = ds/dt

do the equation becomes
(2740/3)*du/dt = -u

should be able to separate, integrate & substitute back in for s

Last edited:
lanedance said:
i haven't used integrating factors for ages, but how about the substitution?

so if you have

let u = s-2740*0.05
then
du/dt = dst/dt

do the equation becomes
(2740/3)*du/dt = -u

should be able to separate, integrate & substitute back in for s

I ended up with -e^(3t/2740)+137=s but my homework thing still said that the answer was wrong.

My steps were:
3dt/2740=du/-u integrate both sides:
3t/2740=ln|-u|
e^(3t/2740)=137-s
-e^(3t/2740)+137=s
The problem is that this just doesn't fit the initial condition of 0 kg sugar. And when I changed the constant so that it was (+/-)e^3t/2740) (either way) -1, it still said that I was wrong, even though the initial condition was met.

RossH said:
I ended up with -e^(3t/2740)+137=s but my homework thing still said that the answer was wrong.

My steps were:
3dt/2740=du/-u integrate both sides:
3t/2740=ln|-u|
e^(3t/2740)=137-s
-e^(3t/2740)+137=s
The problem is that this just doesn't fit the initial condition of 0 kg sugar. And when I changed the constant so that it was (+/-)e^3t/2740) (either way) -1, it still said that I was wrong, even though the initial condition was met.

you're right that its wrong, that answer makes no sense, s will tend toward negative infinity and the initial condition is not met -> s(0) =-e^(0) + 137, which is not 0

i think the problem is with the negative, move it to the t side of the equation before integrating, then keep a constant when you integrate as well, then choose it to satisfy your initial condition

Related to Sugar water tank problem (again)

1. What is the sugar water tank problem?

The sugar water tank problem is a hypothetical problem in which there are two tanks, one containing pure water and the other containing a sugar-water solution. A certain amount of the solution is removed and replaced with pure water, and this process is repeated multiple times. The question is, at what point will the tanks contain equal amounts of pure water and sugar-water solution?

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it is a simplified version of real-life scenarios, such as drug dilution in medicine and population dynamics in biology. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What is the solution to the sugar water tank problem?

The solution to this problem is that the tanks will never contain equal amounts of pure water and sugar-water solution. As the process is repeated, the amount of sugar-water solution in the tank decreases exponentially, but it will never reach zero. Therefore, there will always be a higher concentration of pure water in one tank compared to the other.

4. Can this problem be solved using a mathematical formula?

Yes, the sugar water tank problem can be solved using a mathematical formula. The equation used to calculate the concentration of sugar-water solution after multiple dilutions is cn = c0 (1 - r)n, where cn is the concentration after n dilutions, c0 is the initial concentration, and r is the dilution ratio.

5. How can this problem be applied in real-life situations?

This problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating drug dosages in medicine, determining the effectiveness of a pesticide in agriculture, and studying population growth and decline in biology. It can also be used in decision-making processes, such as determining the optimal ratio of ingredients in a recipe or finding the most cost-effective way to dilute a solution.