Suggest to me which engineering major should I go for

In summary: The first suggestion is to consider a school like MIT. They have a great electrical engineering program and there is always a demand for engineers in the nuclear industry. The second suggestion is to consider Missouri State University. They have a great mechanical engineering program and there is always a demand for engineers in the nuclear industry.
risp
I am currently in a high school IB student with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as HL.
I want to take up a career in nuclear engineering but not as a researcher instead I want to solve real life problems and work in a power plant or a shipyard which makes nuclear-powered submarines and ships.
I do not want to study for the next 10 years of my life instead I want to start working after my undergraduate or postgraduate but not a PHD.
So can you please suggest me which engineering major should I go for ?
If possible can you also suggest some good college which I can afford ( $15k-20k including living cost for international students)
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical. And you should be able to find a decent university without having to go to another country.
Why don't I suggest nuclear? We do have that degree in the US. However, many of the jobs you want would not be available to a foreign national. However a power plant in any country has need for a mechanical engineer. And any marine industry also has need for mechanical engineering. And If nuclear is available, you might be able to get onto the worksite with your mechanical. Without a nuclear industry, you won't find work vs a mechanical engineer would have a good chance of working in all of the above fields as is.

CalcNerd said:
Mechanical. And you should be able to find a decent university without having to go to another country.
Why don't I suggest nuclear? We do have that degree in the US. However, many of the jobs you want would not be available to a foreign national. However a power plant in any country has need for a mechanical engineer. And any marine industry also has need for mechanical engineering. And If nuclear is available, you might be able to get onto the worksite with your mechanical. Without a nuclear industry, you won't find work vs a mechanical engineer would have a good chance of working in all of the above fields as is.

Thanks for your answer.

As an IB student in India, I have no other option, I have to apply in a university outside India.
My dad is suggesting me to take electrical with computer science because it has more scope. Is a job in the nuclear energy field still possible with an undergraduate in Electrical engineering? And is it still possible to do a postgraduate in nuclear engineering after my undergraduate in Electrical engineering

risp said:
Is a job in the nuclear energy field still possible with an undergraduate in Electrical engineering? And is it still possible to do a postgraduate in nuclear engineering after my undergraduate in Electrical engineering

Why not ?

two suggestions come to mind

See this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nuclear-engineering-courses.882759/

take a look at this school, it's where i went in 1960's because it was both affordable and respected in the US midwest.
http://futurestudents.mst.edu/visit/index.html?utm_source=v3topbar&utm_content=visit_link

Related to Suggest to me which engineering major should I go for

What are the different types of engineering majors?

There are many different types of engineering majors, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Other specialized majors include biomedical, environmental, and aerospace engineering.

What factors should I consider when choosing an engineering major?

Some factors to consider when choosing an engineering major include your interests and strengths, job outlook and salary potential, and the specific courses and opportunities offered in each major.

Which engineering major has the highest job demand?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the engineering majors with the highest projected job growth from 2019-2029 are biomedical engineering, environmental engineering, and civil engineering.

Which engineering major has the highest median salary?

According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the engineering majors with the highest median starting salary for bachelor's degree graduates in 2020 were computer engineering, chemical engineering, and electrical engineering.

Is it possible to switch engineering majors?

Most universities allow students to switch engineering majors, but it may depend on the specific requirements and availability within each major. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the feasibility of switching majors and the potential impact on graduation timeline.