Suggestions for books every Theoretical Physicist should have

In summary, Jason recommends that beginners buy the Feynman lectures, Sommerfeld courses, and Schwinger book. He also recommends other books for more advanced readers.
SilasG
Hi,
I am just starting my studies in earnest in Physics (woo, Freshman!) and plan on eventually seeking a PhD in theoretical physics. I was wondering if there were any "cannon" works, textbooks that almost every one knows or has studied from at some point, that I should start looking at purchasing/ start watching for the price to drop on.
I would love any suggestions.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you what not to buy (costs and availability issues), but definitely look for at your nearest campus library: the 10-volume set by Landau and Lifschitz. As a more updated alternative: the series of books by Walter Greiner.

Since you are a Freshman, the primary books I would recommend are the Feynman lectures on physics. You can read them online for free at:
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
They provide insight that you probably didn't get from your intro physics course. The big problem with them is that they don't have any problems - and you really learn by solving problems.

jason

I have actually read the Feynman Lectures.

jasonRF said:
The big problem with them is that they don't have any problems - and you really learn by solving problems.
An exercise book for the Feynman Lectures was recently released. The problems there are quite good.

I'd say Feynman lectures are the must-read books for general physics. After you become more advanced, take a look at the Landau & Lifshitz volumes. Other than that, it depends on the topic you are interested in.

Likes vanhees71 and RJLiberator
Ah, excellent. I was just going to make this post.

I am considering buying the Feynman Lectures and I do not generally buy books.

The multivolume courses from Sommerfeld, Landau & Lifshitz; W. Thirrring "Mathematical Physics", Three volumes of Weinberg, Quantum theory of fields, Goldstein "Classical Mechanics", von Neumann: Mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics, ...

Likes vanhees71
It's a bit off the path that others have suggested. But a book I find very useful is:
"Mathematical Handbook for Scientists and Engineers" by Korn and Korn. When you are trying to remember some mathematical thing, this book on your desk will be helpful. It gets a lot of use when I'm working. It's something an undergrad will almost certainly get value from.

A Chemical Rubber Co handbook of chemistry and physics may, or may not, be value. It depends on what the details of your degree are.

If you are a real keener, find out what books are getting used by later years in your degree, and get them. Though, be aware, you might be getting the Nth edition while you may need the N+1 edition when you get there.

Another great book, which is not so well known (which I don't understand) is Schwinger, Classical Electrodynamics. It's full of gems. One should be aware of that Schwinger was not only one of the founding fathers of modern QED and renormalization theory but also an expert on classical electrodynamics, particularly about waveguides. I like particularly his treatment of the cylinder (Bessel) functions in this textbook, which is very elegant and unique.

Related to Suggestions for books every Theoretical Physicist should have

1. What are the essential books for a theoretical physicist?

Some of the most essential books for a theoretical physicist include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki.

2. Are there any specific books for beginners in theoretical physics?

Yes, some books that are suitable for beginners in theoretical physics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Special Relativity" by A.P. French, and "The Theory of Everything" by Stephen Hawking.

3. Are there any classic books that every theoretical physicist should read?

Yes, there are several classic books that are highly recommended for theoretical physicists, such as "The Theory of Relativity" by Albert Einstein, "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Paul Dirac, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

4. Are there any books that cover the latest developments in theoretical physics?

Yes, some books that cover the latest developments in theoretical physics include "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking, "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow, and "The Black Hole War" by Leonard Susskind.

5. Are there any books that focus on specific areas of theoretical physics?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific areas of theoretical physics, such as "String Theory and M-Theory" by Katrin Becker, "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Richard Feynman and Albert Hibbs, and "Introduction to Cosmology" by Barbara Ryden.