Sum of 2^N Sequence from 1-50: Solving Sigma Notation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to sigma notation and finding the sum from 1 to 50. The equation for the sum is 2^N, and by multiplying the sum by 2, the sum can be determined. The conversation ends with a question about the notation.
reliquator
Okay, I think this problem relates with sigma notation (I'm not good at it)

the sequence given is 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 ...

It wants you to find the sum from 1-50

So the equation thing is 2^N?

How do you find all the sums again...? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the sum:

[tex]S = 2 + 2^2 + \cdot \cdot \cdot + 2^{50}[/tex]

If you multiply the sum by 2 you get

[tex]2S = 2^2 + 2^3 + \cdot \cdot \cdot + 2^{50} + 2^{51}[/tex]

What happens when you subtract the first equation from the second? Can you determine from that what the sum is?

If you mean something like

[tex] S=\sum_{k=1}^{50} 2^{k} =...? [/tex]

, i guess the notation shouldn't be too difficult to grasp.
I hope.

Daniel.

Related to Sum of 2^N Sequence from 1-50: Solving Sigma Notation Problem

What is Sigma Notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of terms. It consists of a capital Greek letter sigma (Σ) and an expression written below it, with a starting value and an ending value for the index.

How do you solve a Sigma Notation Problem?

To solve a Sigma Notation Problem, you need to evaluate the expression for each value of the index, starting from the lower limit and ending with the upper limit. Then, add all the values together to get the sum of the series.

What are the common mistakes made in Sigma Notation Problems?

The most common mistakes made in Sigma Notation Problems include forgetting to start the index at the lower limit, using the wrong upper limit, and not evaluating the expression for each value of the index. It is also important to pay attention to the order of operations and to properly simplify the expression before adding the terms together.

What is the purpose of using Sigma Notation?

Sigma notation is used to simplify and condense the representation of a series. It also allows for a more efficient way of calculating the sum of a series, especially if the series has a large number of terms. Additionally, it is often used in mathematical proofs and to represent patterns in data.

How can I practice solving Sigma Notation Problems?

The best way to practice solving Sigma Notation Problems is to work through exercises and examples. Many textbooks and online resources offer practice problems with solutions. You can also create your own problems and solve them to strengthen your understanding of the concept.