Sum of a Convergent Series: (1+2^n) / (3^n) and How to Find It

In summary: I'm not sure if that's actually how you determine convergence or divergence.You can determine convergence or divergence by looking at a few terms. If the series appears to be converging, then it is convergent. If the series appears to be diverging, then it is divergent.
arl146
Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent. If convergent, find its sum.

Summation (n=1 to infinity) (1+2^n) / (3^n)

I said that it is convergent from looking at the terms. The first couple of terms, you get:

1 + 5/9 + 9/27 + 17/108 + 32/243

It seems as if the numbers are converging to a number.

I don't know how to find the sum. All I know is, the sum of a series is equal to the limit of the sequence of partial sums. And from here I don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
arl146 said:
Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent. If convergent, find its sum.

Summation (n=1 to infinity) (1+2^n) / (3^n)

I said that it is convergent from looking at the terms. The first couple of terms, you get:

1 + 5/9 + 9/27 + 17/108 + 32/243

It seems as if the numbers are converging to a number.

I don't know how to find the sum. All I know is, the sum of a series is equal to the limit of the sequence of partial sums. And from here I don't know what to do

You generally don't determine convergence or divergence by looking at a few terms. Think about geometric series.

How do i determine it then? And i don't know how to move the terms around to get it to the form of a*r^(n-1)

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1 + 2^n}{3^n} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{3^n} + \frac{2^n}{3^n}\right)$$

Does that help?

I did that .. About as far as I get .. Am I supposed to put this in a geometric series form? I'm confused

Under certain conditions you can split a series that is a sum into the sum of two series. The condition is that all series involved are absolutely convergent.

arl146 said:
I did that .. About as far as I get .. Am I supposed to put this in a geometric series form? I'm confused

If you sum from n = 1 to some finite N, then you have two finite geometric series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^N \left( \frac{1}{3^n} + \frac{2^n}{3^n} \right) = S_1(N) + S_2(N),[/tex]
where
[tex] S_1(N) = \sum_{n=1}^N \left( \frac{1}{3}\right)^n \text{ and } S_2(N) = \sum_{n=1}^N \left( \frac{2}{3}\right)^n. [/tex] There is no difficulty here in splitting up the sum into two parts, because the sums all have a finite number of terms. Each of S1(N) and S2(N) have well-defined limits as N → ∞ (given, in fact, by the geometric sum formula), so we get a nice limit for the whole sum.

RGV

Ok I did that too so for the (1/3)^n , a=1/3 and r=1/3? So that sum is a/(1-r) = (1/3)/(1-(1/3)) = 1/2

And for (2/3)^n, a=2/3 and r=2/3 so the sum is (2/3)/(1-(2/3)) = 2

And together that is 5/2 ok I got it now thanks! I always make the problems more difficult than they are

arl146 said:
I always make the problems more difficult than they are
Don't do that! :smile:

I know I wish I could stop that! By the way, so how do i find out of the series is convergent or divergent, since someone said that you can't do it by plugging in a few numbers

Mark44 said:
Under certain conditions you can split a series that is a sum into the sum of two series. The condition is that all series involved are absolutely convergent.

Surely

[tex]\sum a_n+b_n=\sum a_n + \sum b_n[/tex]

holds for every convergent series?? As long as you don't rearrange terms, I don't see why you need absolute convergence.

Micromass, can you explain to me how to determine whether a series is convergent or divergent? Because I just plug numbers in and see if they seem to come to a certain number

Related to Sum of a Convergent Series: (1+2^n) / (3^n) and How to Find It

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series?

The formula for finding the sum of a series is S = n/2(a + l), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term.

2. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers with a constant difference between each term, while a geometric series is a sequence of numbers with a constant ratio between each term.

3. How do you find the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series can be found using the formula S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio for a geometric series.

4. Can the sum of a series be negative?

Yes, the sum of a series can be negative if the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values.

5. What is the significance of the sum of a series in mathematics?

The sum of a series is important in mathematics as it allows us to find the total value of a sequence of numbers, and has applications in various fields such as finance, physics, and engineering.