Sum of an Indexed Family of Submodules - Northcott, pages 8-9

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the sum of an indexed family of submodules is the smallest submodule that contains each of the summands.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading D. G. Northcott's book, Lessons on Rings, Modules and Multiplicities.

On pages 8 and 9, Northcott defines/describes the sum of an indexed family of submodules, as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3507
View attachment 3508At the conclusion of the above text on the construction of the sum of an indexed family of submodules, Northcott writes the following:
" ... ... The submodule \(\displaystyle L\) which has just been constructed, is called the sum of the \(\displaystyle L_i \) and is denoted \(\displaystyle \sum_{i \in I} L_i\). Not only does the sum contain each of the summands \(\displaystyle L_i\), but it is clearly the smallest submodule of \(\displaystyle N\) which has this property. ... ... "
Now it is not immediately obvious to me why the sum constructed as above, should be, as Northcott claims, 'clearly' the smallest submodule that contains each of the summands.

Can someone please show me (formally and rigorously) exactly why the sum of an indexed family of modules, constructed as above, should be (clearly) the smallest submodule containing each of the summands?

Help will be appreciated ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading D. G. Northcott's book, Lessons on Rings, Modules and Multiplicities.

On pages 8 and 9, Northcott defines/describes the sum of an indexed family of submodules, as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3507
View attachment 3508At the conclusion of the above text on the construction of the sum of an indexed family of submodules, Northcott writes the following:
" ... ... The submodule \(\displaystyle L\) which has just been constructed, is called the sum of the \(\displaystyle L_i \) and is denoted \(\displaystyle \sum_{i \in I} L_i\). Not only does the sum contain each of the summands \(\displaystyle L_i\), but it is clearly the smallest submodule of \(\displaystyle N\) which has this property. ... ... "
Now it is not immediately obvious to me why the sum constructed as above, should be, as Northcott claims, 'clearly' the smallest submodule that contains each of the summands.

Can someone please show me (formally and rigorously) exactly why the sum of an indexed family of modules, constructed as above, should be (clearly) the smallest submodule containing each of the summands?

Help will be appreciated ... ...

Peter

Let $K$ be a submodule of $N$ such that $K \supseteq L_i$ for all $i\in I$. The goal is to show that $L \subseteq K$. Then since $K$ was arbitrary and $L$ is itself a submodule of $N$ containing each $L_i$, $L$ must be the smallest submodule of $N$ relative to the property of containing all the $L_i$.

Let $x \in L$. Then $x = \sum_{i\in I} x_i$, where $x_i \in L_i$ and $x_i = 0$ for all but finitely many $i$. Let $J = \{i\in I : x_i \neq 0\}$. Then $J$ is a finite set and $x = \sum_{j\in J} x_j$. Since $x_j \in L_j \subseteq K$ for all $j\in J$ and closure under addition holds in $K$, $x \in K$. Hence, $L \subseteq K$.

Related to Sum of an Indexed Family of Submodules - Northcott, pages 8-9

What is an indexed family of submodules?

An indexed family of submodules is a collection of submodules that are indexed by a set, usually denoted by a subscript or superscript. This set can be finite or infinite, and it allows for a more organized way to describe and study submodules.

What is the sum of an indexed family of submodules?

The sum of an indexed family of submodules is the submodule that contains all possible sums of elements from each submodule in the family. In other words, it is the submodule generated by the union of all submodules in the family.

How is the sum of an indexed family of submodules defined?

The sum of an indexed family of submodules is defined as the intersection of all submodules that contain the union of all submodules in the family. This intersection ensures that the sum is the smallest possible submodule that contains all the elements from each submodule in the family.

What is the Northcott's theorem regarding the sum of an indexed family of submodules?

Northcott's theorem states that the sum of an indexed family of submodules is finitely generated if and only if each submodule in the family is finitely generated and there is a finite number of submodules in the family that cannot be generated by any proper subset of the family.

How is Northcott's theorem useful in studying indexed families of submodules?

Northcott's theorem provides a necessary and sufficient condition for the sum of an indexed family of submodules to be finitely generated. This can be useful in proving results about the structure and properties of finitely generated submodules in general, as well as in specific applications to particular indexed families of submodules.