Sum of distances the same as the former

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary: Its derivative depends on the sign of $(x-2)$.Consider the function:$$g(x)=\sqrt{x^2} = |x|$$Its derivative is:$$g'(x)=\begin{cases} -1 &\text{ if } x < 0 \\\text{Undefined} &\text{ if } x = 0 \\ +1 &\text{ if } x > 0 \end{cases}$$Where does $g(x)$ have its minimum?En -1?En -1?The derivative of $\sqrt{(x-2)^2}$ is not $1$.
leprofece
find a point on the axis OX whose sum of distances to landmarks: (2, 0) and (0, 3) is minimal.

Answer (2,0)

As the title says it is the same as the former
So the equations must be
sqrt((x-2)2+02)+sqrt((x-0)2+ 9) because the point is (x.0)

but it seems I am wrong because i don't get the answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should get the given answer. But, since you did not post your work, I can't tell you where you may have gone wrong. It is worked very similarly to the last question you posted.

MarkFL said:
You should get the given answer. But, since you did not post your work, I can't tell you where you may have gone wrong. It is worked very similarly to the last question you posted.

THIS IS MY WORK
So the equations must be
sqrt((x-2)2+02)+sqrt((x-0)2+ 9) because the point is (x.0)

After deriving i got 1 + x/(sqrt(x2+9)
And I got No answer

Last edited by a moderator:
leprofece said:
So the equations must be
sqrt((x-2)2+02)+sqrt((x-0)2+ 9) because the pòint is (x.0)

And I got No answer

That is not quite the right derivative.
The derivative of $\sqrt{(x-2)^2} = |x-2|$ is not just $1$.
Its derivative depends on the sign of $(x-2)$.
Consider the function:
$$g(x)=\sqrt{x^2} = |x|$$
Its derivative is:
$$g'(x)=\begin{cases}
-1 &\text{ if } x < 0 \\
\text{Undefined} &\text{ if } x = 0 \\
+1 &\text{ if } x > 0 \end{cases}$$

Where does $g(x)$ have its minimum?

En -1?

leprofece said:
En -1?

Huh? :confused:

Do you mean $x=-1$?

If so, then $|x|=|-1|=1$, which is not the minimum value for $|x|$...

I like Serena said:
Huh? :confused:

Do you mean $x=-1$?

If so, then $|x|=|-1|=1$, which is not the minimum value for $|x|$...

ZERO then i did not take into account the absolute value (Heidy)(Angry)

And Abs( 0-2) is 2
so (Priidu) this is the answer

leprofece said:
ZERO then i did not take into account the absolute value (Heidy)(Angry)

Good!

Note that the derivative of g(x) is undefined at 0.
What actually happens is that the derivative flips from a negative value to a positive value.
At the point where it flips, we have the minimum.

The same applies to your problem.

I realize that the second Function wasnt taken into account so That is sqrt (x2 +9)
WHY?
I Think because x / sqrt( ,,,) = 0 it is equal to 0
Am i right??

So the equations must be
sqrt((x-2)2+02)+sqrt((x-0)2+ 9) because the pòint is (x.0)

And I got No answer

leprofece said:
And I got No answer

This is not the correct derivative.
It is only correct for $x>2$.
And then the derivative is always positive.

But Why isnot correct
x/sqrt(...) is the deivative of the other
maybe because if I equate to 0 I get 0?

leprofece said:
But Why isnot correct
x/sqrt(...) is the deivative of the other
maybe because if I equate to 0 I get 0?

The derivative of $\sqrt{(x-2)^2}$ is not $1$.

FAQ: Sum of distances the same as the former

1. What is the meaning of "Sum of distances the same as the former" in a scientific context?

The phrase "Sum of distances the same as the former" refers to a mathematical concept where the total distance between two points remains constant, even if the individual distances between the points change. This principle is often used in physics and engineering calculations.

2. How is the "Sum of distances the same as the former" principle applied in real-life situations?

In real-life situations, the "Sum of distances the same as the former" principle is often used to calculate the overall distance traveled by an object that moves in different directions or at varying speeds. It can also be applied in navigation, where the total distance between two points remains the same regardless of the route taken.

3. What is the formula for calculating the "Sum of distances the same as the former"?

The formula for calculating the "Sum of distances the same as the former" is d1 + d2 = d1' + d2', where d1 and d2 are the original distances between two points, and d1' and d2' are the new distances between the same points. This formula is based on the Pythagorean theorem.

4. What are some limitations of the "Sum of distances the same as the former" principle?

One limitation of the "Sum of distances the same as the former" principle is that it only applies to two-dimensional distances. In three-dimensional or higher dimensions, the sum of distances may not remain constant. Additionally, this principle assumes that the path between the two points is continuous and does not account for any changes in direction or speed.

5. How is the "Sum of distances the same as the former" principle related to other mathematical concepts?

The "Sum of distances the same as the former" principle is closely related to the concept of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. It is also related to the idea of symmetry, where the overall pattern or structure remains unchanged despite variations in its individual components.