Sum of first m terms of a combinatorial number

• MHB
  • Thread starter JTHM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Terms
In summary: If $r_2=r_1$ then $b_2=\binom{r_1+1}{k-1}$. If $r_2<r_1$ then $b_2<\binom{r_1+1}{k-1}$. So in both case $b_2<\binom{r_1+1}{k-1}$ and $r_2<r_1$. This shows that $r_2<r_1$. Now apply induction hypothesis to $b_2$ and $k-1$. This yields a representation of $b_2=\sum_{i=1}^{k-1} \
JTHM
Dear Math Help Boards,

I have a tricky problem that I hope one of you can help me with. (It's for a personal project, nothing to do with school.) I'm looking for a closed-form expression for the sum of the first through m-th terms of a combinatorial number. For those of you unfamiliar with combinatorial numbers, here's some useful reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combina..._number_system

Basically, the idea is this: for any non-negative integers k, and b, we can express the value of b as a sum of k terms of the form [TEX]\binom{r_1}{k}+\binom{r_2}{k-1}+\binom{r_3}{k-2}... \binom{r_k}{1}[/TEX]. For every t and s where t and s are non-negative integers such that [TEX]t<s \leq k[/TEX], it will be the case that [TEX]r_t>r_s[/TEX] (this is just true by the definition of a combinatorial number).

For example, for [TEX]k=5[/TEX], we can express the number 36 as [TEX]\binom{7}{5}+\binom{6}{4}+\binom{2}{3}+\binom{1}{2}+\binom{0}{1}[/TEX].

Now, the sum of all five of these terms will be 36. But suppose I just want, say, the sum of the first two terms, four terms, or any arbitrary number of terms, and I don't want to exhaustively find every term and add all of them up. The question, then is this: given k, b, and m, where k is the total number of terms in the combinatorial number, b is the value of the combinatorial number, and m is the number of terms (starting with the first term) that we want to sum, what is the closed-form expression for the sum of those terms?

Admittedly, I am not certain that a closed-form expression even exists. If you can think of a reason why there might not be a closed-form expression for the above, please share it. In the eventuality that there is no closed-form expression, if you can think of a fast algorithm to find such a sum--something faster than just adding the terms individually--that would be helpful, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
QuirinusQ said:
Dear Math Help Boards,

I have a tricky problem that I hope one of you can help me with. (It's for a personal project, nothing to do with school.) I'm looking for a closed-form expression for the sum of the first through m-th terms of a combinatorial number. For those of you unfamiliar with combinatorial numbers, here's some useful reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combina..._number_system

Basically, the idea is this: for any non-negative integers k, and b, we can express the value of b as a sum of k terms of the form [TEX]\binom{r_1}{k}+\binom{r_2}{k-1}+\binom{r_3}{k-2}... \binom{r_k}{1}[/TEX]. For every t and s where t and s are non-negative integers such that [TEX]t<s \leq k[/TEX], it will be the case that [TEX]r_t>r_s[/TEX] (this is just true by the definition of a combinatorial number).

For example, for [TEX]k=5[/TEX], we can express the number 36 as [TEX]\binom{7}{5}+\binom{6}{4}+\binom{2}{3}+\binom{1}{2}+\binom{0}{1}[/TEX].

Now, the sum of all five of these terms will be 36. But suppose I just want, say, the sum of the first two terms, four terms, or any arbitrary number of terms, and I don't want to exhaustively find every term and add all of them up. The question, then is this: given k, b, and m, where k is the total number of terms in the combinatorial number, b is the value of the combinatorial number, and m is the number of terms (starting with the first term) that we want to sum, what is the closed-form expression for the sum of those terms?

Admittedly, I am not certain that a closed-form expression even exists. If you can think of a reason why there might not be a closed-form expression for the above, please share it. In the eventuality that there is no closed-form expression, if you can think of a fast algorithm to find such a sum--something faster than just adding the terms individually--that would be helpful, too.
Your link is broken: Wikipedia Combinatorial Number System

CB

Last edited:
QuirinusQ said:
Dear Math Help Boards,

I don't know if the following provides any help but it may give you some insight I hope.
Lets settle the existence of such a representation. We use induction on $k$.
If $k$ is $1$ then the assertion is trivially true. So base case is verified.
Now let $k>1$. Let $r_1$ be the greatest integer such that $b_1=b-\binom{r_1}{k}\geq 0$. If $b_1=0$ then we can easily find a desired representation. So assume $b_1>0$. Let $r_2$ be the largest integer such that $b_2=b_1-\binom{r_2}{k-1}\geq 0$. We show that $r_2<r_1$. Assume on the contrary that $r_2\geq r_1$. By the above said things we clearly have $b-\binom{r_1}{k}-\binom{r_2}{k-1}\geq 0$. But
\begin{align*}
r_2& \geq r_1 \\
\Rightarrow \binom{r_2}{k-1}&\geq \binom{r_1}{k-1}\\
\Rightarrow b-\binom{r_1}{k}-\binom{r_2}{k-1}&\leq b-\binom{r_1}{k}-\binom{r_1}{k-1}\\
\Rightarrow b_2=b-\binom{r_1}{k}-\binom{r_2}{k-1}&\leq b-\binom{r_1+1}{k}\\
\end{align*}
Where we have used the identity $\binom{n}{r}+\binom{n}{r-1}=\binom{n+1}{r}$.
Note that $b-\binom{r_1+1}{k}<0$ by definition of $r_1$. This gives $b_2<0$, a contradiction.
Thus we have $r_2<r_1$.
Now use the induction on $k$ to get a representation of $b_1$ as a sum of $k-1$ binomial terms. Add $\binom{r_1}{k}$ to this representation to get a representation of $b$. This completes the proof for existence.

Last edited:

Related to Sum of first m terms of a combinatorial number

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number?

The formula for finding the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number is:
S = (n choose 0) + (n choose 1) + (n choose 2) + ... + (n choose m-1)
where n is the total number of objects and m is the number of terms being summed.

2. How is the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number related to Pascal's Triangle?

The sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number is directly related to the mth row of Pascal's Triangle. Each term in the sum corresponds to a value in the mth row of the triangle, with the first term being the first value in the row and so on.

3. Can the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number be negative?

No, the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number cannot be negative. This is because each term in the sum is a combination of positive integers, and therefore the sum will always be a positive integer or zero.

4. Is there a shortcut or simpler way to calculate the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number?

Yes, there is a shortcut to calculating the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number. It is called the hockey-stick identity and it states that:
(n choose 0) + (n choose 1) + (n choose 2) + ... + (n choose m) = (n+1 choose m+1)
This can be used to quickly calculate the sum without having to individually calculate each term.

5. Can the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number be fractional?

Yes, the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number can be fractional. This occurs when the total number of objects (n) is less than the number of terms being summed (m). In this case, the sum will result in a fractional number, which represents a probability or proportion in certain situations.