Sum of Infinite Series: cot^-1(5/sqrt(3))+cot^-1(9/sqrt(3))+...

In summary, the given series is an infinite sum of inverse cotangent functions with a common denominator of $\sqrt{3}$. The sum of the series can be found by opening a math note dedicated to the series of inverse functions.
Saitama
Find the sum of the following series upto infinite terms:

$$\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{5}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{9}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{15}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{23}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cdots$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Find the sum of the following series upto infinite terms:

$$\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{5}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{9}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{15}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{23}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cdots$$

Since I'm more familiar with the function $\displaystyle \tan^{-1} x$ let me write the series as...

$\displaystyle S = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \tan^{-1} \frac{\sqrt{3}}{n^{2} + n + 3}\ (1)$

We can use the general formula...

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \tan^{-1} \frac{c}{n^{2} + n + c^{2}} = \tan^{- 1} c\ (2)$

... obtaining...

$\displaystyle S = \tan^{-1} \sqrt{3} = \frac{\pi}{3}\ (3)$ The prove of (2) will be supplied in a successive post...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Since I'm more familiar with the function $\displaystyle \tan^{-1} x$ let me write the series as...

$\displaystyle S = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \tan^{-1} \frac{\sqrt{3}}{n^{2} + n + 3}\ (1)$

We can use the general formula...

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \tan^{-1} \frac{c}{n^{2} + n + c^{2}} = \tan^{- 1} c\ (2)$

... obtaining...

$\displaystyle S = \tan^{-1} \sqrt{3} = \frac{\pi}{3}\ (3)$ The prove of (2) will be supplied in a successive post...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hi chisigma!

Thanks for participating, your answer is correct! I am interested in your proof for (2). :)

Pranav said:
Hi chisigma!

Thanks for participating, your answer is correct! I am interested in your proof for (2). :)

May be that the best for me is to open a math note dedicated to the series of inverse functions...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
May be that the best for me is to open a math note dedicated to the series of inverse functions...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Definitely! (Yes)

FAQ: Sum of Infinite Series: cot^-1(5/sqrt(3))+cot^-1(9/sqrt(3))+...

What is the formula for finding the sum of an infinite series?

The formula for finding the sum of an infinite series is given by S = a / (1 - r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. This formula is applicable only when the absolute value of r is less than 1.

How do you determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent?

An infinite series is convergent if the limit of its terms approaches a finite number as the number of terms approaches infinity. It is divergent if the limit of its terms approaches infinity or does not exist.

What is the significance of the cot^-1 function in the given infinite series?

The cot^-1 function, also known as the arccotangent function, is the inverse of the cotangent function. In the given infinite series, it is used to find the angles whose cotangent values are 5/sqrt(3), 9/sqrt(3), and so on.

Can the sum of an infinite series be negative?

Yes, the sum of an infinite series can be negative. This happens when the series is an alternating series, where the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative.

How can the sum of this particular infinite series be calculated?

The sum of this infinite series can be calculated by finding the value of each term using the given formula and then adding them all together. Alternatively, the series can be simplified using mathematical properties and then the sum can be found.