Sum of pqth Term in Arithmetic Progression

In summary, the sum of the pqth term in an arithmetic progression where the pth term is 1/q and the qth term is 1/p is equal to pq. This can be found by solving for the common difference and using the sum formula for arithmetic progressions.
Doffy
The pth term of an airthmetic progression is 1/q and qth term is 1/p. What is the sum of pqth term?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would begin by stating:

\(\displaystyle a_p=a_1+(p-1)d=\frac{1}{q}\)

\(\displaystyle a_q=a_1+(q-1)d=\frac{1}{p}\)

Now, solve both for $a_1$...then equate the results and solve that for $d$...what do you find?

According to this, we find that a1=d=1/pq.
However, I am still confused about the sum of pqth term.

Doffy said:
According to this, we find that a1=d=1/pq.
However, I am still confused about the sum of pqth term.

Yes, that's correct. So now apply the formula:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(2a_1+(n-1)d\right)\)

where:

\(\displaystyle n=pq,\,a_1=d=\frac{1}{pq}\)

What we then get is:

\(\displaystyle S_{pq}=\frac{pq}{2}\left(\frac{2}{pq}+\frac{pq-1}{pq}\right)=1+pq-1=pq\)

Related to Sum of pqth Term in Arithmetic Progression

What is an Arithmetic Progression?

An Arithmetic Progression is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term. For example, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 is an arithmetic progression with a common difference of 2.

What is the formula for finding the sum of the first n terms in an Arithmetic Progression?

The formula for finding the sum of the first n terms in an Arithmetic Progression is Sn = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where Sn is the sum, a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

What is the formula for finding the nth term in an Arithmetic Progression?

The formula for finding the nth term in an Arithmetic Progression is tn = a + (n-1)d, where tn is the nth term, a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

How do I find the number of terms in an Arithmetic Progression?

To find the number of terms in an Arithmetic Progression, you can use the formula n = (tn-a)/d + 1, where n is the number of terms, tn is the last term, a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

What is the sum of the first n terms in an infinite Arithmetic Progression?

The sum of the first n terms in an infinite Arithmetic Progression is infinite if the common difference is not equal to 0. If the common difference is 0, then the sum is equal to the first term multiplied by n.