Sum of the infinite series ((-1)^n * (-7)^n)/n

In summary, using the formula for an infinite series with the general term (-1)^n * 7^n/n!, the summation can be simplified to ((-7)^n)/n! for n=1 to infinity. By adding a "0th" term of -1 to the series, it can be rewritten as -1 + ∑0∞ (-7)^n/n!, making it similar to the formula for e^x.
Erubus

Homework Statement

Find the sum of infinite the series (-1)^n * 7^n/n! for n=1 to infinity

Homework Equations

e^x = sum (x^n)/n! for n=0 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I combined the (-1)^n and the 7^n to make the summation ((-7)^n)/n! for n = 1 to infinity

then I changed the lower bound to 0 to make it similar to e^x

((-7)^(n+1))/(n+1)! for n=0 to infinity

I don't know where to go from here, help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Erubus! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the "Quick symbols" box, and the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Erubus said:
I combined the (-1)n and the 7n to make the summation ((-7)n)/n! for n = 1 to infinity

then I changed the lower bound to 0 to make it similar to ex

((-7)n+1)/(n+1)! for n=0 to infinity

instead of changing the limits, just add a "0th" term …

-1 + ∑0 (-7)n/n! :wink:

Wow never would have thought of that, but it makes sense.

Thanks!

Related to Sum of the infinite series ((-1)^n * (-7)^n)/n

1. What is the sum of the infinite series ((-1)^n * (-7)^n)/n?

The sum of the infinite series ((-1)^n * (-7)^n)/n is equal to -ln(1+7) or -ln(8).

2. How is the sum of this series calculated?

The sum of this series is calculated using the alternating series test, which states that if the absolute value of the terms in a series decrease and the limit of the terms approaches 0, then the series converges. In this case, the series is alternating and the limit of the terms is 0, so the series converges.

3. Can this series be simplified?

Yes, this series can be simplified to (-1)^n * ln(8).

4. What is the convergence of this series?

The series converges absolutely, meaning that the sum of the series is finite and the series converges even if the terms are rearranged.

5. How is this series used in mathematics?

This series is used in mathematics to calculate the natural logarithm of 8. It is also used in calculus and other areas of mathematics as an example of an alternating series and to demonstrate the use of the alternating series test.