Summation involving Clebsch–Gordan coefficients

In summary, the conversation discussed using second quantization formalism to solve a problem and the potential use of a relationship from Messiah's book.
patric44
Homework Statement
summation involving Clebsch–Gordan coefficients
Relevant Equations
stated below
Hi all
I am trying to follow a derivation of something involving second quantization formalism, I am stuck at this step :
$$
\sum_{m2}\sum_{\mu1}
\bra{2,m1,2,m2}\ket{k,q}\bra{2,\mu1,2,\mu2}\ket{k,-q}\delta_{-m2,\mu1}
= (-1)^{2+m2}\frac{\sqrt{2k+1}}{\sqrt{5}}\bra{k,-q,2,m2}\ket{2,-m1}\times (-1)^{2+m2}\frac{\sqrt{2k+1}}{\sqrt{5}}\bra{k,-q,2,m2}\ket{2,\mu2}
$$
i tried to use the relation:
$$
\bra{j1,m1,j2,m2}\ket{J,M} = (-1)^{2+m2}\frac{\sqrt{2J+1}}{\sqrt{2j1+1}}\;\bra{J,-M,j2m2}\ket{j1,-m1}
$$
that will reproduce the first term but not the second,
any hint on how to start

$$

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot say that I remember exactly how to do this, but I remember my QM2 class then try to consult Messiah's book. (Messiah to the rescue... :oldbiggrin:).

• Informative
Likes patric44

Related to Summation involving Clebsch–Gordan coefficients

What are Clebsch–Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch–Gordan coefficients are numerical factors that arise in the quantum mechanical addition of angular momenta. They are used to express the eigenstates of total angular momentum in terms of the eigenstates of individual angular momenta. These coefficients play a crucial role in the coupling of two angular momenta in quantum mechanics.

How are Clebsch–Gordan coefficients used in summation problems?

Clebsch–Gordan coefficients are often used in summation problems to combine or decompose states with different angular momenta. When dealing with the addition of angular momenta, these coefficients help in summing over the possible states to find the resultant state. They are crucial in simplifying the expressions involving the total angular momentum of a system.

Why are Clebsch–Gordan coefficients important in quantum mechanics?

Clebsch–Gordan coefficients are important in quantum mechanics because they provide a systematic way to handle the addition of angular momenta, which is a common problem in many quantum systems. They allow for the calculation of the probabilities and amplitudes of various quantum states resulting from the combination of two or more angular momenta, making them essential for understanding atomic, molecular, and nuclear systems.

Can Clebsch–Gordan coefficients be computed analytically?

Yes, Clebsch–Gordan coefficients can be computed analytically, although the process can be complex. They are derived from the properties of angular momentum operators and the associated algebra. Tables of precomputed Clebsch–Gordan coefficients are commonly available, and various algorithms and software packages can also be used to compute them numerically for specific cases.

What are some common applications of Clebsch–Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch–Gordan coefficients are commonly used in various fields of physics, including atomic physics, molecular physics, and nuclear physics. They are essential in the study of the spectral lines of atoms, the coupling of electron spins, the addition of nuclear spins, and in the analysis of angular distributions in particle physics. They also appear in the context of quantum field theory and the study of symmetries in physical systems.