Summer 2012 math REU? (Current sophomore)

• Thread starter anonymity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Summer
In summary, the person is a sophomore math and ME major interested in participating in a math REU program this summer. They have a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, ODEs, and programming languages such as python, java, and mathematica. They are interested in applied math and are wondering about their chances of getting into an REU program as a sophomore. They have a 4.0 in math and expect mostly As this semester, with strong recommendations from their professors. The expert believes it is doable and recommends applying to multiple programs and obtaining strong letters of recommendation.
anonymity
Hey everyone,

I'm a sophomore math and ME major (long story), and as the title suggests, want to take part in a math REU program this summer. I have taken calculus I-III, am currently taking a first course in proofs (Set Theory and Logic), applied linear algebra, and introductory ODEs. Next semester I will be taking upper-level linear algebra, number theory, partial differential equations, and statistics for scientists and engineers. I also know python, java, mathematica, and less extensively both MATLAB and latex. I am a tutor in my schools math center, too, if that would help.

I am interested in applied math (mathematical modeling in particular), and was hoping to find out how realistic it is for someone with my background to get into an REU program as a sophomore. I have a 4.0 in math (3.667 overall) and expect mostly As this semester (definitely in math courses, at the very least). I think my calc I-II teacher would give a great recommendation (a lecturer, not professor if that matters), and my current differential equations professor too.

thanks to anyone who can help!

-anonymous

Physics news on Phys.org
That's definitely doable! I did an REU the summer after my sophomore year and had a lighter background than you will. Just apply to lots of places, even if they aren't a perfect fit to your interests. Letters of recommendation are also key. Good luck!

FAQ: Summer 2012 math REU? (Current sophomore)

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a competitive summer research program for undergraduate students in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). These programs provide students with the opportunity to gain hands-on research experience, work with faculty mentors, and potentially present their findings at conferences.

2. How can I apply for a summer 2012 math REU program?

To apply for a summer 2012 math REU program, you will need to research and find specific programs that interest you. Most programs have their own application process and requirements, which can typically be found on the program's website. You will also need to submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and potentially a personal statement or research proposal.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a math REU program?

Participating in a math REU program can provide many benefits, including hands-on research experience, the opportunity to work with faculty mentors, potential publication of research findings, and networking opportunities. These experiences can also help strengthen your graduate school applications and make you a more competitive candidate for future research opportunities.

4. What should I expect from a summer 2012 math REU program?

Expectations for a summer 2012 math REU program can vary depending on the specific program, but most programs will involve full-time research work with a faculty mentor, regular meetings and presentations, and potentially field trips or social events. You may also have the opportunity to attend workshops or conferences related to your research topic.

5. Are summer 2012 math REU programs paid?

Most summer 2012 math REU programs provide a stipend or salary to participants, in addition to covering housing and potentially travel expenses. However, the amount of compensation can vary depending on the program and location. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine the compensation offered.