Summer Math Study for Engineering Grads

In summary: It sounds like you will be taking a calculus based course next year. A textbook that is recommended for that course is Concrete Mathematics by Donald E. Knuth. He is a valuable resource for the more arcane topics that it covers as well as for the getting-your-hands-dirty approach that it follows.
typer91
I'm an engineering major who is about to graduate from an undergrad program and will be entering grad school in the fall. I'm interested in doing some sort of summer study of math, though I'm not sure whether I should do a review of the previous math courses that I've taken during my undergrad years or branch out into something completely new to get a head start on some of the things that I might see later on in grad school.

I've previously taken (multi-variable) calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and discrete math. If doing a review, I would lean more towards discrete math since the topics from the class I had seemed very interesting, though what would be some recommendations for further pursuing number theory or discrete math?

Also, has anyone previously done a self study or a partner study over the summer? If so, how did it work for you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone up for doing this?

What type of grad program will you be entering? DId you go to that school as an undergrad? If not, look on their website to see what their students would have learned, and make sure you don't have any holes. If you have no holes, then it can depend a lot on what you are studying, what your interests are, and how much you really want to do this summer...
jason

I'm going to be entering as a master's student in computer engineering. I'm prepared to do a lot this summer since I have a bit of spare time. Any suggestions on how I should plan a summer study?

typer91 said:
I'm going to be entering as a master's student in computer engineering. I'm prepared to do a lot this summer since I have a bit of spare time. Any suggestions on how I should plan a summer study?

It sounds like you would profit from self studying from Concrete Mathematics. Mostly discrete stuff, light on proofs (as suits engineering rather than mathematics), but serious work.

Thanks for the recommedation! Is anyone else out there doing a self study this summer? I'm wondering if it would be better to study with others.

I will be doing my first calculus course this summer, so not necessarily self study.

IGU said:
It sounds like you would profit from self studying from Concrete Mathematics. Mostly discrete stuff, light on proofs (as suits engineering rather than mathematics), but serious work.

Concrete Mathematics is not a general discrete math book, there are topics it doesn't cover for example combinatorics or graph theory.

So for a more general book, I'll choose the one below for being encyclopedic and rigorous. You can find a preview on Google Books, just search for it. The Amazon reviewers don't like it so much but this is for review and you are heading into grad school now. Knuth is valuable for the more arcane topics that it covers as well as for the getting-your-hands-dirty approach that it follows.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072880082/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What courses will you be taking next year? What textbooks are recommended for those courses? Why not make a head start on the recommended texts?

FAQ: Summer Math Study for Engineering Grads

1. What is the purpose of a Summer Math Study for Engineering Grads?

A Summer Math Study for Engineering Grads is designed to help engineering students improve their math skills and prepare for more advanced engineering courses. It aims to bridge any gaps in their math knowledge and provide a strong foundation for their future studies.

2. Who should participate in a Summer Math Study for Engineering Grads?

Any engineering graduate who feels they could benefit from additional math practice and review should consider participating in a Summer Math Study. It is especially useful for students who struggled with math in their undergraduate studies or those who are pursuing more math-heavy engineering disciplines.

3. What topics are typically covered in a Summer Math Study for Engineering Grads?

The specific topics covered may vary depending on the program, but common topics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. The focus is often on reviewing and reinforcing basic math principles that are essential for success in engineering courses.

4. How long does a Summer Math Study for Engineering Grads typically last?

The length of a Summer Math Study can vary, but most programs last between 4-8 weeks. This allows for a concentrated period of study without interfering with the regular academic year. Some programs may also offer shorter or longer options depending on the needs of the students.

5. Will a Summer Math Study for Engineering Grads guarantee success in advanced engineering courses?

While a Summer Math Study can provide a strong foundation and improve math skills, success in advanced engineering courses also depends on other factors such as dedication, hard work, and effective study habits. Participating in a Summer Math Study can greatly benefit engineering grads, but it is not a guarantee of success in all future courses.