Sun and hydrostatic equilibrium

In summary, the conversation was about trying to estimate the pressure of the sun's photosphere using a hydrostatic equilibrium equation. However, the formula being used did not align with observations and the participants were seeking the correct formula and approach to solving the problem. One participant suggested looking up the cross section per gram in the solar photosphere and using that in conjunction with the surface gravity to calculate the pressure. This can be represented as g over kappa, where g is the acceleration of gravity at the solar surface and kappa is the cross section per gram.
Andreas C
I've been trying to make an estimate for the pressure of the sun's photosphere using some sort of hydrostatic equilibrium equation, but I can't seem to get one that even comes close to agreeing with observations. Does anyone know what the right formula is and what the right way to approach the problem is?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yeah, I don't think the formula I used is the right one, and I CAN'T seem to find the right one, so does anyone know which one it is?

The photosphere is where you see through a single mean-free path of an optical photon. So you need to know the opacity there, to know how much stuff is in a single mean-free path. So look up the cross section per gram in the solar photosphere, then know that the weight per area of the gas you are seeing through, to see the photosphere, is the surface gravity times the mass per area, where the mass per area is 1 over the cross section per gram. So that's the pressure-- g over kappa, where g is the acceleration of gravity at the solar surface, and kappa is the cross section per gram there. Think of that as g times the mass per area that you are seeing through.

Related to Sun and hydrostatic equilibrium

1. What is the sun's hydrostatic equilibrium?

The sun's hydrostatic equilibrium is the balance between the inward force of gravity, which is trying to collapse the sun, and the outward force of gas and radiation pressure, which is trying to expand the sun. This balance allows the sun to maintain its shape and size.

2. How does the sun maintain its hydrostatic equilibrium?

The sun maintains its hydrostatic equilibrium through the process of fusion, which releases energy in the form of heat and light. This energy creates enough pressure to counteract the force of gravity, keeping the sun stable.

3. What happens if the sun's hydrostatic equilibrium is disrupted?

If the sun's hydrostatic equilibrium is disrupted, it can lead to changes in its size and shape. For example, if the inward force of gravity becomes stronger, the sun may collapse, while an increase in outward pressure could cause the sun to expand.

4. How is hydrostatic equilibrium related to the sun's energy production?

Hydrostatic equilibrium is crucial for the sun's energy production because it allows the fusion reactions to occur. Without the balance between gravity and pressure, the sun's core would not be hot and dense enough to sustain fusion, and the sun would not be able to produce energy.

5. Can hydrostatic equilibrium be disrupted in the sun?

Yes, hydrostatic equilibrium can be disrupted in the sun. This can happen due to changes in the sun's internal structure, such as changes in temperature or density, or external factors such as collisions with other celestial bodies. However, the sun has mechanisms in place, such as energy production through fusion, to maintain its hydrostatic equilibrium.