Super-node question, one equation or two?

• Thread starter orangeincup
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves using the mesh current method to solve for the power dissipated. The equations used are v1+v2+..vn=0, i=v/R, and p=i*v. The first attempt at a solution involves using two equations, 20=4*i1+i1 and -90=9*i2+6*i2, but there is a mistake as the 6A does not affect the equations and both equations have no unknowns. It is suggested to use a supermesh instead, and to write one equation for the supermesh and one constraint equation tying the two "normal" mesh currents to the 6 A source.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

Use the mesh current method to solve for the power dissipated

Homework Equations

v1+v2+..vn=0
i=v/R
p=i*v

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to solve the question using two equations,
eq1) 20=4*i1+i1
eq2) -90=9*i2+6*i2
eq3)i2-i1=6A...

So I obviously made a mistake since the 6A is doing nothing in my equations, and both equations 1 and 2 have no unknowns. Am I suppose to just use one equation, and use the super node as my second? How can I tell when I need to use only one equation?

Attachments

• super1.png
    super1.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
In both eq1 and eq2 you are missing the voltage drop Vo

Likes 1 person
You are asked to use mesh equations, so rather than a supernode, you want a supermesh. You should write one equation for the supermesh and one constraint equation tying the two "normal" mesh currents to the 6 A source.

Likes 1 person

Related to Super-node question, one equation or two?

1. What is a super-node?

A super-node is a concept in circuit analysis that refers to a node in a circuit with at least two voltage sources connected to it.

2. Can a super-node have more than two voltage sources?

Yes, a super-node can have any number of voltage sources connected to it, as long as there are at least two.

3. How do you solve a circuit with a super-node?

To solve a circuit with a super-node, you first identify the super-node and treat it as a single node with an unknown voltage. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to write equations and solve for the unknown voltage.

4. Can a super-node have any components other than voltage sources?

Yes, a super-node can have any combination of components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, as long as there are at least two voltage sources connected to it.

5. Is there a difference between using one equation or two to solve a super-node?

No, the number of equations used to solve a super-node will depend on the specific circuit and its components. Some circuits may require only one equation, while others may require two or more.