Superconducting Tunnel Junctions

In summary, the terahertz radiation detection method requires the application of a minimal potential (Hc) to suppress supercurrent tunneling. This current has nothing to do with the presence of the radiation.
Rubens
Just want to confirm if my understanding is correct regarding the detection method of terahertz radiation using superconducting tunnel junctions (a Superconductor-Insulator-Superconductor device). For a Niobium superconductor material (having Eg = 3meV corresponding to about 0.7 THz frequency from E=hv, where v is the frequency) all I need is about 0.7 THz of electromagnetic wave to incident on this superconducting tunnel junction detector in order for the electrons (Cooper pairs breaking up) to tunnel through the insulator and into the other superconductor. Is my understanding correct?

Please help!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rubens said:
Just want to confirm if my understanding is correct regarding the detection method of terahertz radiation using superconducting tunnel junctions (a Superconductor-Insulator-Superconductor device). For a Niobium superconductor material (having Eg = 3meV corresponding to about 0.7 THz frequency from E=hv, where v is the frequency) all I need is about 0.7 THz of electromagnetic wave to incident on this superconducting tunnel junction detector in order for the electrons (Cooper pairs breaking up) to tunnel through the insulator and into the other superconductor. Is my understanding correct?

Please help!

Thank you!

I haven't done work on radiation detection, but here's what I remember.

First of all, Nb energy gap is about 1.3 - 1.5 meV. If you do a superconducting-insulator-normal metal (SIN) junction, this is the minimum energy that you would need to start seeing current across your junction, because this is the energy you need to break a cooper pair. However, in a SIS junction, although 1.5 meV is enough to break the cooper pair, the cooper pair has no states to tunnel to on the other side of the junction because it will be tunneling right into the gap on the other superconducting side. So you need to double the energy, and that's why the tunneling gap is around 3.0 meV.

I not sure if you still need to apply a minimal potential across the junction to help with the current, but in many cases, you need to apply a small amount of magnetic field to the junction (well below Hc) to suppress supercurrent tunneling. This current has nothing to do with the presence of the radiation, so you don't want that to overwhelm your measurement.

Zz.

Zz, thank you so much. Yup, I've read in an article that a magnetic field was applied to the device to suppress the supercurrent (dc Josephson effect).

One more thing, for a SIS device having a very thin insulator (approx. 10 Angstrom), the wave functions of the superconductors are coupled together right? So their wavefunctions and thus phase are the same. So any photon excitation onto the SIS device will alter the wavefunction of one of the superoconductors, resulting to a phase difference, thus, by de Broglie relation, there will be momentum (velocity) of electrons. Resulting to a current that will tunnel through the junction. Is my understanding correct?

It's really hard to do self-studying.

Thanks!

Last edited:
By the way, I don't know why the magnetic field can suppress the supercurrent? Is it just the typical magnetic force to deflect the movement of the charges?

Thanks again.

Rubens said:
By the way, I don't know why the magnetic field can suppress the supercurrent? Is it just the typical magnetic force to deflect the movement of the charges?

Thanks again.

The magnetic field adds just enough disruption to destroy the phase coherence of the supercurrent across the tunneling junction.

In SIN tunneling, what is tunneling across is the "electron", not the pair. The magnetic field doesn't destroy the electron in terms of its ability to tunnel through, at least not for low fields. In SIS tunneling, both electrons in the pair must maintain coherence with each other while they're tunneling across. The magnetic field, even a weak one, is enough to cause a slight "mis-step" during this dance.

This, btw, is why a device such as a SQUID is so sensitive to magnetic fields. Even one single magnetic quantum flux across a SQUID loop can cause a slight phase shift in the supercurrent and be detected.

Zz.

Ah! now I understand. Thanks so much Zz.

Rubens.

Related to Superconducting Tunnel Junctions

1. What is a superconducting tunnel junction?

A superconducting tunnel junction (STJ) is a type of device that utilizes the phenomenon of superconductivity to enable the flow of electrical current with zero resistance. It consists of two superconducting electrodes separated by a thin insulating barrier, allowing for tunneling of electrons through the barrier.

2. How do superconducting tunnel junctions work?

Superconducting tunnel junctions work by exploiting the property of superconductivity, which allows for the flow of electrical current without any resistance. When a voltage is applied to the junction, electrons can tunnel through the insulating barrier, creating a supercurrent. This supercurrent is highly sensitive to incoming photons or particles, making STJs useful in detecting and measuring them.

3. What are the applications of superconducting tunnel junctions?

Superconducting tunnel junctions have a wide range of applications, including in particle physics experiments, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and quantum computing. They are also used in the development of ultrasensitive detectors for studying the properties of light and matter, as well as in astronomical instruments for detecting faint signals from distant objects.

4. What are the advantages of using superconducting tunnel junctions?

The main advantage of using superconducting tunnel junctions is their ability to detect and measure extremely weak signals with high precision. They also have a fast response time and can operate at very low temperatures, making them suitable for use in cryogenic environments. Additionally, STJs have low noise levels and high energy resolution, making them ideal for a variety of scientific applications.

5. What are the challenges facing superconducting tunnel junction technology?

One of the main challenges facing superconducting tunnel junction technology is the need for low operating temperatures, which can be expensive and difficult to maintain. Another challenge is the integration of STJs with other technologies, such as semiconductors, for practical applications. Additionally, the fabrication and control of STJs is a complex process that requires specialized equipment and expertise.