Supergravity = local SUSY or gravity mediation?

In summary, the term "supergravity" can refer to either localized supersymmetry or gravity-mediated supersymmetry breaking. The connection between the two is that gravity can act as a messenger sector for breaking local supersymmetry, but it is not necessarily the only way for SUSY to be broken. The term "supergravity" is often used to refer to a theory with local SUSY and a graviton as a superpartner to its gravitini. Other methods of SUSY breaking may exist, but they are not typically referred to as "supergravity."
SUSY
Hi,

in some texts, the term supergravity refers to locallized supersymmetry but most of the times, I have the impression that it refers to gravity mediated supersymmetry breaking (i.e. higher dimensional terms in the kahler- and superpotential that are suppressed by powers of the Planck mass).

What is the connection between the two?

Is the breaking of local supersymmetry necessarily mediated by gravity (or could we have local supersymmetry with, for example, GMSB)?
If we chose gravity as the messenger sector, do we necessarily have to locallize our SUSY transformations?

Or are local SUSY and gravity mediation two totally different things that just happen to both be called "supergravity"?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have only heard "supergravity" used to refer to a theory with local SUSY (which then necessarily has a graviton as a superpartner to its N gravitini).

SUSY can be broken in many ways, I suppose, and I am not familiar with most of them.

Related to Supergravity = local SUSY or gravity mediation?

1. What is supergravity?

Supergravity is a theory that combines the principles of general relativity and supersymmetry. It describes the interactions between particles with different spins and predicts the existence of supersymmetric particles.

2. What is local SUSY?

Local SUSY, also known as supergravity, is a supersymmetric extension of general relativity. In this theory, supersymmetry is a local symmetry, meaning that it applies to every point in spacetime. This allows for a more flexible and dynamic description of the universe.

3. What is gravity mediation in supergravity?

Gravity mediation is a mechanism in supergravity that explains how the effects of supersymmetry breaking are transmitted to other particles. It involves the exchange of gravitons, the particles responsible for the force of gravity, which interact with other particles to transmit the effects of supersymmetry breaking.

4. What are the differences between supergravity and gravity mediation?

The main difference between supergravity and gravity mediation is that supergravity is a theory that combines supersymmetry and general relativity, while gravity mediation is a mechanism within supergravity that explains how supersymmetry breaking is transmitted to other particles. Supergravity is a more comprehensive theory, while gravity mediation is a specific aspect of it.

5. How does supergravity relate to other theories, such as string theory?

Supergravity is a theory that can be derived from string theory, which is a more fundamental theory that attempts to unify all of the forces of nature. In certain cases, supergravity can also be seen as a low-energy effective theory of string theory. However, supergravity is a distinct theory in its own right and has been studied extensively for its own merits.