Supernova Dimming and Angular Distance Diameter

In summary: However, the angular diameter distance measure does have a few caveats. For one, it's not perfect - it's not perfect because the universe is expanding. So when you measure an object's angular diameter distance, you're actually measuring the distance that the object would be from us if the universe were static.But beyond that, the angular diameter distance measure is also good at measuring distances beyond the redshift range where the redshift relationship breaks down. So, for example, you can use it to measure distances to the very early universe.In summary, the angular diameter distance measure is a good way to measure distances within the universe, and it's good at measuring distances beyond the redshift range.
titowakoru
I was reading an article and came across the idea that cosmological measurements of the angular distance diameter could be used to prove that supernova dimming did not occur due to dark energy. However I could not wrap my head around it. Angular distance diameter is giving by:

dA = x / θ where x is the objects actual size and θ is the angular size of the object as viewed from Earth.

When I was reading it, I assumed it had something to do with the redshift relationship but it wasnt particular clear.

Anyone enlightening the situation?

Space news on Phys.org
without seeing the I couldn't say on the DE relation. The angular size is affected by redshift. beyond redshift approximately z=1.5, the angular diameter distance is a good approximation of proper distance up to that value.

da= r(X)/1+z.

where r(X)=X when k=0 (flat universe geometry).

edit this article covers what your after.

http://www.nicadd.niu.edu/~bterzic/PHYS652/Lecture_07.pdf

Last edited:
titowakoru said:
I was reading an article and came across the idea that cosmological measurements of the angular distance diameter could be used to prove that supernova dimming did not occur due to dark energy. However I could not wrap my head around it. Angular distance diameter is giving by:

dA = x / θ where x is the objects actual size and θ is the angular size of the object as viewed from Earth.

When I was reading it, I assumed it had something to do with the redshift relationship but it wasnt particular clear.

Anyone enlightening the situation?
Well, the short answer is that distances measured via the brightness of supernovae and distances measured via the angular diameter distance agree with one another.

That is to say, if you run an estimate of cosmology based upon an angular diameter distance measure (such as the baryon acoustic oscillations measure), then to within the experimental errors, the result agrees with the cosmology you infer from supernova brightnesses (with dark energy and all).

FAQ: Supernova Dimming and Angular Distance Diameter

1. What is supernova dimming?

Supernova dimming is the decrease in brightness of a supernova over time. This is caused by the expansion of the universe, which stretches the light waves from the supernova, making them appear dimmer.

2. How is supernova dimming measured?

Supernova dimming is measured by comparing the apparent magnitude (brightness) of a supernova to its expected or "intrinsic" magnitude. The difference between these two values is known as the dimming factor.

3. What is angular distance diameter?

Angular distance diameter is a measure of the physical size of an object in the sky, as seen from Earth. It is measured in degrees, minutes, and seconds of arc, and is determined by the object's physical diameter and its distance from Earth.

4. How is angular distance diameter related to supernova dimming?

The angular distance diameter of a supernova can be calculated using its dimming factor and the distance to the supernova. This allows scientists to determine the physical size of the supernova and track its changes over time.

5. Why is studying supernova dimming and angular distance diameter important?

Studying supernova dimming and angular distance diameter can provide valuable insights into the expansion rate and geometry of the universe. It can also help us understand the nature of dark energy, which is believed to be responsible for the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion.

Back