Supernova, energy in the expanding remnant? simple question cant

In summary, the question asks about the amount of energy available in the expanding remnant of a supernova that ejects 2 solar masses of matter at a root mean speed of 7000km/s. The suggested solution of calculating energy density using the formula E = 1/2 mv^2 and dividing by the volume does not provide the correct answer of 6.52*10^-14 J/m^3. It is unclear how big the remnant is and what the correct method for finding the total energy is, as the problem does not provide a time frame for the expansion. Further clarification is needed from a tutor.
rwooduk
... figure it out

1. if a typical supernova ejects 2 solar masses of matter at a root mean speed of 7000km/s, how much energy is available in the expanding remnant?

2. Homework Equations : unsure

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

E = 1/2 mv^2

then divide by the volume, 4/3(pi)r^3

do not get the correct answer of 6.52*10^-14 J/m^3

the problem is i do not know how big the remnant is so if i find the total energy what do i divide by, there is no time given to work out the expansion, but lost with this one, any direction appreciated!

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks about energy, not energy density.
If the given answer is an energy density, the problem statement is wrong, incomplete or there is something else missing.

mfb said:
The question asks about energy, not energy density.
If the given answer is an energy density, the problem statement is wrong, incomplete or there is something else missing.

thanks for the reply. that is the complete question and the answer provided, i was assuming (given the answer) that the question wanted energy per m^3, which as you state would be an energy density.

i will ask my tutor for clarification of this and update this thread with an answer.

thanks again.

Related to Supernova, energy in the expanding remnant? simple question cant

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life and collapses under its own gravity.

2. How much energy is released in a supernova?

A typical supernova can release as much energy as the Sun will emit over its entire 10 billion year lifetime in just a few seconds.

3. What happens to the energy in the expanding remnant of a supernova?

The energy released in a supernova is primarily in the form of light and heat. As the remnant expands, this energy is dispersed into the surrounding space.

4. How does a supernova affect its surrounding environment?

A supernova can have a significant impact on its surrounding environment, releasing large amounts of heavy elements and creating shock waves that can trigger the formation of new stars.

5. Can a supernova be dangerous to Earth?

A supernova would need to occur relatively close to Earth (within about 50 light years) to have any significant impact. However, there are currently no known supernovae close enough to cause harm to Earth.

Back