Superpoincarè algebra and generators: questions

In summary, a high school student with an interest in math and physics posed several questions regarding different topics such as the Superpoincarè algebra, infinitesimal generators of general Lie algebras, classification of representations, and the derivation of the conformal killing equation in CFT. They also mentioned their previous knowledge in these subjects, including following video lectures and reading books. Other forum members provided helpful links and explanations to assist with the student's understanding.
rubbergnome
Hello everyone, I'm an high school student, but I try to study maths and physics at a decent level anyways. I have some questions to pose; to give you an idea of how could you guys answer me, i recently finished viewing David Tong's QED video lectures and notes, and I'm stuck at the CFT sections of his string theory notes. These are the questions:

1) Superpoincarè algebra:

I read in various references that the SUSY extension of the poincarè algebra is the simplest SUSY algebra one can get. I get why the generators have to be spinors, but nobody ever gives a derivation of the defining anticommutator

[tex]\left\{ Q_\alpha , \bar{Q}_{\dot \beta}\right\}=2\sigma_{\alpha \dot \beta}^{\mu} P_\mu[/tex]

simply defining the SUSY transformation to be such and such. Also, why are dots on the \beta index? I read this is a type of notation, but I don't know its usefulness. How is SUSY a continuous transformation? Doesn't it map bosons (integer spin) to fermions (half integer) etc. in a ladder?

2) Infinitesimal generators of general lie algebras:

I think I can safely say to understand what generators are, but it seems there isn't an unique an precise way to compute them. I found various ways but, especially in case of SO(p,q) lorentz transformations, I'm confused because I found two different kinds of generators. The first are

[tex]M_{\mu \nu} = x_\nu \partial_\mu - x_\mu \partial_\nu [/tex]

which are obviously related to angular momentum, and then the others are simply a basis for antisymmetric matrices, because imposing the lorentz condition on the metric with infinitesimal transformations one gets antisymmetric matrices. The generators above are in fact antisymmetric, but I'm talking about combinations of the Minkowski metric (you can see them in Tong's QED notes). What's the difference? Is the first one local and the second global or what? Is it because they belong to different representations?

3) Classification of representations:

I often find names of representations such as direct sums of (1/2, 0), (0,1/2), (0, 1), and also of "integers written in bold" as names. Why is that? What do they represent and what's the usefulness?

4) Derivation of conformal killing equation in CFT:

I think i understood the basics of CFT quite well, but when I try to derive the equation for flat space killing vectors

[tex]\partial_\mu \epsilon_\nu + \partial_\nu \epsilon_\mu = \frac{2}{d}(\partial \cdot \epsilon) \eta_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

I get an annoying extra term. I start with equating the transformation of the metric (the generic one) with the infinitesimal conformal transformation. I get a quadratic term in derivatives of \epsilon which shouldn't be there; perhaps it is zero, because of orthogonality of different partial derivatives? I'd like to see a complete derivation.

Thanks in advance for responses, sorry if I disturbed you. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know, it's just that it's been a couple of years that I read books and followed video lectures, all the way from calculus to this stuff, and although It's kind of a basic understanding, I can tell you I was able to grasp the maths in this course

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qftvids.html

I'm just trying my best, that is all :) as for the links you gave me, I get them but the first one contains one of my issues: you say 'solving 1.1' for the infinitesimal transformation: when I try to do that i get an extra term. I would like some answers anyways, if anybody wants :) I think I know something about the poincarè group, as for its representations, I just know something about the vector and the spinor one, that's the reason I asked those question in the first place.

edit: I just noticed there's much more than one post in the first link. I'll read that right now, thanks.

Transformations are called infinitesimal because they contain an infinitesimal numbers called parameters [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. So, when doing calculation with infinitesimal transformations, we only keep terms that are first-order in the parameters. any thing multiplied by [itex]\epsilon^{2}[/itex] get inglected because it is infinitesimally small.

regards

sam

Oh yeah, I didn't keep track of that. Thanks. I hope someone will answer the other questions :)

Also, the posts in the second link about representations are really clear, thanks a lot!

Last edited:
rubbergnome said:
I hope someone will answer the other questions

The above mentioned links have all the answers you needed! The supersymmetric part of your questions does not change the general formalism, you just allow for anticommuting coordinates.

sam

After realizing that your links contain everything, my 'other questions' was really just referring to the first one. Now you answered that as well :) sorry to have bothered you.

Related to Superpoincarè algebra and generators: questions

1. What is the Superpoincaré algebra?

The Superpoincaré algebra is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetries of spacetime in a theory that includes both bosonic and fermionic fields. It is an extension of the Poincaré algebra, which only includes bosonic fields.

2. What are the generators of the Superpoincaré algebra?

The generators of the Superpoincaré algebra are operators that generate transformations of spacetime and its associated fields. These include translations, rotations, boosts, and supersymmetry transformations.

3. How does the Superpoincaré algebra relate to supersymmetry?

The Superpoincaré algebra is closely related to supersymmetry, which is a symmetry that relates bosonic and fermionic fields. In fact, the Superpoincaré algebra is a central tool in studying supersymmetric theories and their properties.

4. What are the applications of the Superpoincaré algebra?

The Superpoincaré algebra has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of supersymmetric theories and their properties. It is also used in string theory, which attempts to unify all fundamental forces in nature.

5. Are there any open problems or challenges in the study of the Superpoincaré algebra?

Yes, there are several open problems and challenges in the study of the Superpoincaré algebra. One of the main challenges is to fully understand its implications in supersymmetric theories and to discover new applications of this algebra in other areas of physics.

Back