Superposition and variation of parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a specific solution to a differential equation using superposition and variation of parameters. The attempted solution involves finding the values of A, B, and C, but the method used is not successful. The suggestion to try variation of parameters is made.
Aerosion

Homework Statement

y''+2y'+y = 4t^2 - 3 + (e^-t)/t

of course i evaluated the general soltuion to be c1e^-1t + c2te^-1t

but now how do you do the right part? i tried y=At^2+Bt+c+1/(Dt+E)*e^-t as a solution but after differentiating it twice and putting it into the eqaution i got...

(4e^t/Dt+E)-(4De^t/(Dt+E^2))+(2D^2e^t/(Dt+E)^3)+At^2+4At+Bt+2A+2B+C = 4t^2-3+(e^-t)/t

and i don't know what to do with that. i found a=4 and b=0 and c=-11 but that's about all i did, I'm unsure how to find the rest of the letters to complete the probleme

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since (1/t) e-t is NOT one of the solutions one would expect to get as a solution to a homogeneous d.e. with constant coefficients, "undetermined coefficients" will not work. You titled this "superposition and variation of parameters". Have you tried variation of parameters to get a specific solution for the (1/t)e-t?

FAQ: Superposition and variation of parameters

1. What is superposition in the context of parameter variation?

Superposition is the principle that states that the response of a linear system to a sum of inputs is equal to the sum of the individual responses of each input. In the case of parameter variation, this means that the overall response of a system with varying parameters can be determined by adding up the individual responses of each parameter.

2. How does superposition apply to real-world systems?

In real-world systems, superposition can be observed in many different contexts. For example, in electrical circuits, the current or voltage at a specific point can be calculated by adding up the individual contributions from each component. In mechanical systems, the overall displacement or force can be determined by adding up the effects of individual forces or displacements.

3. Can superposition be applied to non-linear systems?

No, superposition only applies to linear systems. Non-linear systems do not follow the principle of superposition, as the response to a sum of inputs is not equal to the sum of the individual responses. In non-linear systems, the interactions between different inputs can lead to completely different responses, making superposition invalid.

4. What is the difference between parameter variation and parameter estimation?

Parameter variation refers to the changing values of specific parameters in a system, while parameter estimation is the process of determining the values of those parameters. In other words, parameter variation is the input and parameter estimation is the output. Superposition applies to parameter variation, but not necessarily to parameter estimation.

5. How can superposition and parameter variation be useful in scientific research?

Superposition and parameter variation are useful tools in scientific research as they allow for the analysis and prediction of complex systems with varying parameters. By breaking down a system into individual components, researchers can gain a better understanding of how different parameters affect the overall response. This can be applied in a wide range of fields, from engineering and physics to biology and economics.

Back