Superpositions and complex structures

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entanglement between particles and how it affects their wave functions. The question is raised about whether this entanglement also applies to complex structures of particles, and the response clarifies that at low energies, these structures can be treated as elementary particles, but at high energies, they must be considered individually. The conversation also touches on the idea of wave collapse and the role of the strong force in maintaining the structure of particles.
Billmyk
So I get that when starting at Eigenstate A all super-positions wave functions are collapsed do to entanglement with "observed eigenstate A.
My theoretical question is since sub-atomic particles are entangled in there "eigenstate" space-time positions, wouldn't that mean that complex structures of sub atomic particles such as matter that contain quarks, strong force, gluons, ect...would also be entangled in" the there super-position(s) as well, making up the same complex structures in there other eigenstate superposition(s) in theory ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can treat non-elementary particles like protons like elementary particles if the energies are low enough. If the energy is high enough, you have to consider the constituents individually, and you get a multi-particle system (which still follows the laws of quantum mechanics, of course, but is is much more complex).
Billmyk said:
So I get that when starting at Eigenstate A all super-positions wave functions are collapsed do to entanglement with "observed eigenstate A.
Collapse means no entanglement any more.
Billmyk said:
My theoretical question is since sub-atomic particles are entangled in there "eigenstate" space-time positions
There are no "eigenstate space-time positions".

Ok, thanks

I understand what your saying, I thought if entanglement ends at wave collapse in a complex structure of particles strong force is holding them together so they remain in a structured state. At the super positions but decohersed

I don't understand that post.

FAQ: Superpositions and complex structures

1. What is a superposition?

A superposition is a quantum phenomenon where a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time. This means that the particle can have multiple properties simultaneously, until it is observed or measured.

2. How do complex structures relate to superpositions?

Complex structures, such as atoms and molecules, are made up of smaller particles that can exhibit superposition. The behavior of these particles in a superposition state can affect the overall behavior and properties of the complex structure.

3. Can we observe superpositions?

No, we cannot directly observe superpositions. When we measure a superposition, the particle collapses into one of its possible states, and we can only observe that one state. However, we can indirectly observe superpositions through the effects they have on complex structures and quantum systems.

4. What are the applications of superpositions and complex structures?

Superpositions and complex structures are important in quantum computing, as they allow for the creation of qubits which can store and manipulate large amounts of information. They also have applications in cryptography, sensing and precision measurements, and quantum simulations.

5. How do superpositions and complex structures challenge our understanding of reality?

Superpositions and complex structures challenge the classical notion of reality, where objects are thought to have definite properties at all times. In quantum mechanics, these properties can be indeterminate until they are measured, leading to a probabilistic understanding of reality. This has profound implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.