Supersymmetric string theory, what is it?

In summary, the conversation is about string theory and its relation to supersymmetry. The theory of supergravity is discussed as a precursor to string theory, and the basics of string theory are explained. The concept of supersymmetry and its role in string theory is brought up, with a question about how they relate to produce superstring theories. The conversation also mentions a book called "Supersymmetry" and provides some helpful links for further reading on the subject.
ant0
Basically i am on an A-level research product and i have chosen to study string theory. I have explained particle spin, theory of super gravity (to explain where string theories came from) and the basics of string theory. I also explained supersymmetry earlier on. My questoin is, how does supersymmetry relate to string theories to produce superstring theories? I assume it's something to do with the bosons/ fermions being symetrical again? Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
ant0,

I am reading a book called "Supersymmetry" by Gordon Kane. This book was published in 1999 (so maybe it is still not outdated). Edward Witten gave a foreword that says if nature is supersymmetric, the revelation of a quantum dimension of space-time is possible, which at the moment is not measureable by ordinary number.

When I finish this book (in about three weeks from now), I can add more information to this thread.

Antonio

Supersymmetry requires that each particle have a supersymmetric partner. These partners are called sparticles. Generally the name of a particle's supersymmetric partner is formed by adding an "s" to that particle's name. The supersymmetric partner of the electron is called the selectron, that of the quark the squark. The supersymmetric partner of a particle is of the opposite type along the boson/fermion axis. No supersymmetric particles have been found as of yet. It is theorized that, if they exist, they are too heavy to be observed at the energies available in current particle accelerators, though it is hoped that the Large Hadron Collider, when it comes online in 2007, will provide a glimpse of supersymmetry. The original string theory was a 26-dimensional model of the bosonic string. Remember that bosons are particles that transmit forces, and that all rigid matter is composed of fermions, therefore a universe composed of only bosons is not very realistic, and certainly not ours. Adding fermions to the model induces states of negative probablity that are called ghosts, and considered to be unphysical. It was discovered that the only way to get rid of the ghost states was to require that all particles have a supersymmetric partner. The "super" in supersymmetry comes from Lie supergroups and superalgebras, which are symmetric in even dimensions and antisymmetric in odd, hence supersymmetric.

Last edited:
Here is a link to a paper that gives a quick introduction to the mathematics of supersymmetry. It is fairly advanced, but clear.

http://www.teorfys.uu.se/courses/exjobb/susy.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by ant0
Basically i am on an A-level research product and i have chosen to study string theory. I have explained particle spin, theory of super gravity (to explain where string theories came from) and the basics of string theory. I also explained supersymmetry earlier on. My questoin is, how does supersymmetry relate to string theories to produce superstring theories? I assume it's something to do with the bosons/ fermions being symetrical again? Help please!

Taken on face-value? here:http://www.superstringtheory.com/basics/basic5.html

One has to of course have a deeper understanding to the cross dimensional listings, no doubt this will come as you progress further in your studies

I'm doing a research about this subject too. I would reallyyy appreciate it if you can send it to me.so far I've wrote a little about the subject but struggling with the some parts too. It would really help if you can reach me and send me your report. my email is: dinatarazi@hotmail.com =)
hope to hear from you and good luck with your research.
P.S. check those sites they helped me personally, not about your question but in general:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/ (after opening this link, click on "A Theory of Everything"
http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid183_gci341514,00.html
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/7/13588/70154
http://www.superstringtheory.com/
http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/jhs/strings/

Last edited:

Related to Supersymmetric string theory, what is it?

What is supersymmetric string theory?

Supersymmetric string theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics by proposing that all particles have corresponding "superpartners" with different spin properties. It is an extension of string theory, which posits that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

How does supersymmetric string theory work?

In supersymmetric string theory, each particle has a superpartner with the same mass and internal properties, but different spin. This symmetry between particles and their superpartners allows for the cancellation of certain quantum corrections, potentially solving some of the problems that arise in combining general relativity and quantum mechanics.

What is the evidence for supersymmetric string theory?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for supersymmetric string theory. However, some of the predictions of the theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions and the presence of dark matter particles, have been supported by other lines of evidence.

What are the potential implications of supersymmetric string theory?

If supersymmetric string theory is proven to be correct, it would provide a unified framework for understanding the fundamental forces of the universe. It could also potentially solve some of the unanswered questions in physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the nature of dark matter.

What are some criticisms of supersymmetric string theory?

One major criticism of supersymmetric string theory is that it has yet to make any testable predictions that can be experimentally verified. Additionally, some physicists argue that the theory is too complex and relies on too many unproven assumptions to be considered a viable explanation for the fundamental nature of the universe.