Supplier for coaxial electric motor

In summary, the individual is designing a compact coaxial electric motor for a test fixture that will drive two counter rotating fans with tip speeds of up to 650 fps. They are looking for a supplier for the motor and have contacted Maxxon motors, who were used by a MIT student for a similar project. A quick Google search yielded many options for coaxial motors, but most were for RC hobby use. The individual suggests contacting Contra Electric or searching marine salvage yards for a suitable motor. They also mention Boston gear as a potentially creative but not budget-friendly option.
John_V22
I'm designing a test fixture and need a compact coaxial electric motor.

The motor drives two counter rotating fans with tip speeds up to 650 fps (desired), 500 fps (required). The fan diameter has not been selected, but is between 2 to 3 ft. Initial estimates suggest that the total fan power will be below 10 hp. The motor may be water cooled.

I'm looking for recommendations for a supplier for this motor. I see that a MIT student used Maxxon motors for a coaxial drive on a dual prop ducted propeller and I have contacted them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A quick Google search on 'coaxial motor' turned up a plethora of offers to sell, but scant explanations or drawings of the offerings. Most were RC Hobby style.

I cannot imagine a single mechanism that'd produce opposing rotations, everything I've seen employs gears of some sort. There's even a PF thread on the subject,
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/coaxial-rotors-with-one-motor.909579/ .

This image from that thread shows one mechanical solution.

I think in your shoes i'd contact these folks and explain your need is bigger than hobby but smaller than general aviation.
https://www.contraelectric.com/innovation/the-system-components
Probably an engineer there will know who serves that market niche.

If this is for a one of a kind test bed, and you have a creative machinist partner on the project,
i'd peruse the marine salvage yards looking for the lower unit from an outboard motor so equipped. Maybe you'd get lucky and find one with a blown powerhead for cheap.

That'd be a starting point.

Sorry, i don't know of a source. In my day Boston gear was very creative but not for the DIY-Hobbyist budget.

old jim

Likes anorlunda

Related to Supplier for coaxial electric motor

1. What is a coaxial electric motor?

A coaxial electric motor is a type of electric motor where the rotor and stator are aligned along the same axis. This design allows for a more compact and efficient motor, making it a popular choice for various industrial and commercial applications.

2. What are the advantages of using a coaxial electric motor?

Some advantages of using a coaxial electric motor include better power density, higher torque output, and smoother operation. This type of motor also has a longer lifespan and is more reliable compared to other types of electric motors.

3. How do I choose the right supplier for a coaxial electric motor?

When choosing a supplier for a coaxial electric motor, it's important to consider their reputation, experience, and track record of delivering high-quality products. You should also look for a supplier that offers customization options and excellent customer service.

4. Can a coaxial electric motor be used in different environments?

Yes, coaxial electric motors can be used in various environments, including harsh and extreme conditions. However, it's important to choose a supplier that offers motors with appropriate protection ratings for the specific environment in which the motor will be used.

5. What maintenance is required for a coaxial electric motor?

The maintenance required for a coaxial electric motor may vary depending on the specific model and usage. However, in general, regular cleaning, lubrication, and inspection of the motor can help ensure its optimal performance and longevity. It's also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.