Suppose the function f is defined as follows: f(x)=4x^2-5x+1

• Thread starter Jaco Viljoen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: The first is the only possibility, in which case the two intervals are [-1,1] and [0,1]. The second is also the only possibility, in which case the two intervals are [-1,0] and [1,0].
Jaco Viljoen

Homework Statement

Suppose the function f is defined as follows:
f(x)=4x^2-5x+1
Write down the D:f and solve the inequality f(x)≤0
D:f (-∞,∞) because the function is a parabola, buy I am not sure how to solve the inequality, I would appreciate some help with this,

Thank you

Homework Equations

f(x)=4x^2-5x+1
f(x)≤0

The Attempt at a Solution

D:f (-∞,∞)
4x^2-5x+1≤0

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you substitute for f(x) in the inequality and see what you get? If you don't know how to deal with a quadratic inequality, try finding the critical values and then think about the graph of the function for a bit.

Likes Jaco Viljoen
PWiz said:
Why don't you substitute for f(x) in the inequality and see what you get? If you don't know how to deal with a quadratic inequality, try finding the critical values and then think about the graph of the function for a bit.
Thank you for your reply,
Had a dumb moment there, I am busy working on it now.

D:f (-∞,∞)
4x^2-5x+1≤0
(4x-1)(x-1)≤0
4x-1=0
4x=1
x=(1/4)

x-1=0
x=1

so x=1 and x=(1/4)
1/4≤x≤1

Thank you.

Jaco

Last edited:
You have found the points where the function equals zero. Your intervals for the function being less than zero will either be between those points or outside of those points.
That is, your answer should be something like ##1/4 \leq x \leq 1 ## if between,
## x \leq 1/4 \text{ or } x \geq 1## if outside.
One way to see what the proper interval is might be to test a few points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Jaco Viljoen
Thank you Ruber,
I have mended my answer above,
Thank you again,

Jaco

I see you chose the correct interval, but did not express why it was correct. Did you plot a point inside or use a different method?

Likes Jaco Viljoen
Ruben,
I substituted a few values into the equation see what was in fact true.
Thank you,

A good way to solve these problems is to look at the coefficient of the x^2 term. If it is positive, you'll get a U shaped graph, and any inequality of the type "less than or equal to" will give you a closed interval, whereas an inequality of the type "greater than or equal to" will give you two separate inequalities. The reverse is true if the x^2 coefficient is negative (an inverted U shape graph is produced). This is of course only valid if a solution to the equality between the quadratic function and whatever it is being compared with exists.

Likes Jaco Viljoen
Jaco Viljoen said:
Ruben,
I substituted a few values into the equation see what was in fact true.
Strictly speaking, you were working with an inequality, not an equation.

in addition to finding where [itex]4x^2- 5x+ 1[/itex] is equal to 0, you have determied that it can be factored as [itex](4x- 1)(x- 1)[/itex] so the inequality can be written as [itex](4x- 1)(x- 1)\le 0[/itex].

Now, use the fact that "the product of two numbers is negative if and only if the two numbers are of different sign".
Here, that tells you that either [itex]4x- 1\le 0[/itex] and [itex]x- 1\ge 0[/itex] or [itex]4x- 1\ge 0[/itex] and [itex]x- 1\le 0[/itex].

Likes Jaco Viljoen

Related to Suppose the function f is defined as follows: f(x)=4x^2-5x+1

1. What is the domain of this function?

The domain of this function is all real numbers, as there are no restrictions on the input value x.

2. What is the range of this function?

The range of this function depends on the vertex of the parabola. If the vertex is a minimum, the range will be all real numbers greater than or equal to the y-coordinate of the vertex. If the vertex is a maximum, the range will be all real numbers less than or equal to the y-coordinate of the vertex.

3. How do you find the vertex of this function?

The vertex of this function can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic term and linear term, respectively. Once you find the x-coordinate of the vertex, you can plug it into the function to find the corresponding y-coordinate.

4. What is the axis of symmetry of this function?

The axis of symmetry of this function is a vertical line that passes through the vertex. It can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic term and linear term, respectively.

5. How do you graph this function?

To graph this function, you can plot points by choosing various x-values and calculating the corresponding y-values using the given function. You can also use the vertex and axis of symmetry to determine the shape and direction of the parabola. Additionally, you can plot the x- and y-intercepts by setting the function equal to 0 and solving for x. Finally, you can use the symmetry of the graph to plot additional points and create a smooth curve.

Back