Surface area from bands: Calculus

In summary, the shaded band shown here is cut from a sphere of radius Rby parallel planes h units apart. The surface area of the band is 2piRh.
cathy

Homework Statement

The shaded band shown here is cut from a sphere of radius Rby parallel planes hunits apart. Show that the surface area of the band is 2piRh.
The image is on this site: http://imgur.com/TCx1weD
http://imgur.com/TCx1weD

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I do this? I thought that it was given that the dS= 2pi*r dL, so since dL=h, it would simply be dS=2pi*rh, but then that doesn't make a lot of sense because I would have to take the integralto find x, but what are the points that I am taking the integral from? I am a bit confused. Please advise if you can.

Anytime I do this problem, I'm getting that ds= 2piR*dL, which is where I'm trying to get, but to find s, wouldn't you have to take the integral of that? This is where I'm confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi cathy! :smile:
cathy said:
The shaded band shown here is cut from a sphere of radius Rby parallel planes h units apart. Show that the surface area of the band is 2piRh.

always use the slicing method …

slice the band into tiny slices of height dh, and radius a function of h

then each slice will be very nearly a slice of a cone, and you can take its surface area to be that of a slice of a cone, which is … ? :wink:

hello! :)

but looking at the picture, the band isn't the slice of a cone, is it?

if you take the band, I automatically thing that it should be 2piR* the thickness, which in this case is h, so why do I need to slice?
Are there calculations necessary here?

Sorry, I am very confused as to to show the proof.

Perhaps I misunderstand something, but what's to be calculated seems to be part of a spherical shell. So you should parametrize the sphere (hint: spherical coordinates with fixed radius are the natural choice) and think about where the parameters run to cover the piece of the shell you want to calculate.

hello cathy! :smile:
cathy said:
but looking at the picture, the band isn't the slice of a cone, is it?

the bit of the Earth that you're living on is part of a slice of the same latitude, λ, that goes all the way round the earth

you probably think it looks flat!

so you'd calculate its area as the area of a slice of a cone at angle λ

(and the reason why you don't use dh is because the surface is slanting … dh is the difference in height, but the actual distance from top to bottom is longer)

FAQ: Surface area from bands: Calculus

1. How is surface area from bands calculated using calculus?

Surface area from bands is calculated by taking the integral of the function representing the band, multiplied by the width of the band, over the desired interval. This can be expressed as S = ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function representing the band and dx is the width of the band.

2. What is the difference between surface area from bands and regular surface area?

Surface area from bands is a more precise way of calculating surface area, as it takes into account the curvature and irregularity of the surface. Regular surface area calculations often rely on approximations and can be less accurate.

3. Can surface area from bands be used for any type of shape?

Yes, surface area from bands can be used for any type of shape, as long as it can be represented by a function. This includes both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional shapes.

4. How is the width of the band determined in surface area from bands calculations?

The width of the band can be determined by the desired level of accuracy. The smaller the width, the more accurate the calculation will be, but it will also require more calculations and can be more time-consuming.

5. What are some real-world applications of surface area from bands calculations?

Surface area from bands calculations have many real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and manufacturing. It can be used to determine the surface area of irregularly shaped objects, which is important in designing and constructing various structures and products.