How is the Formula for Surface Area of a Frustum Verified in Exercise 62?

In summary, the formula S=2πrL can be derived from the geometry of the frustum, where r is the average radius of the two circles at the ends of the frustum.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member
5un62o.jpg

Ok, so I have problems understanding where they came up with the formula
S=2∏rL, where r = (1/2)(r1+r2).

They say the formula is verified in exercise 62. I did the exercise and showed that S=∏rL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this contradictory? I can see how they're using the average radius of the frustum, but I'm not sure what allows them to do that. I guess I just need to see a geometric proof before I really get it.

kb2c1i.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula S=2πrL can be understood by looking at the geometry of the frustum. First, consider the two circles at the ends of the frustum. The circumference of each circle is 2πr, where r is the radius of each circle. Since the circumference of each circle is the same, and they are connected by a circular arc, the total circumference of the frustum is 2πr. Now, since the total circumference of the frustum is the same as the perimeter of the rectangle (formed by the length L and the circumference of the frustum), it follows that the total circumference of the frustum is equal to 2πrL. By substituting the average radius (1/2)(r1+r2) into the formula, we get S=2π(1/2)(r1+r2)L, which is equivalent to S=2πrL.

Related to How is the Formula for Surface Area of a Frustum Verified in Exercise 62?

What is the definition of "Surface Area of a Frustum"?

The surface area of a frustum is the total area of all the curved and flat surfaces that make up the three-dimensional shape. It is often referred to as the "outer skin" of the frustum.

How is the surface area of a frustum calculated?

The surface area of a frustum can be calculated by adding the area of the top and bottom circles, the lateral surface area (the curved part connecting the two circles), and the area of the two bases (the flat surfaces connecting the lateral surface and the circles).

What is the formula for finding the surface area of a frustum?

The formula for finding the surface area of a frustum is: SA = π(r1 + r2)l + π(r1^2 + r2^2), where r1 and r2 are the radii of the top and bottom circles, and l is the slant height of the frustum.

Can the surface area of a frustum be negative?

No, the surface area of a frustum cannot be negative as it is a measurement of the outer surface of the shape and cannot have a negative value.

What is the importance of calculating the surface area of a frustum?

The surface area of a frustum is important in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and construction. It helps in determining the material needed to cover the surface of the frustum, which is crucial in designing and building structures.