Surface Area of Cylinder inside of sphere

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of the portion of a cylinder that lies within a given sphere. The surface area is found by integrating over the parametrized region of the cylinder. However, the integral in this case equals zero due to the inclusion of negative values. To correctly find the area, it is better to integrate over half of the cylinder and then multiply by two.
mreaume

Homework Statement

Find the area of that part of the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 2ay that lies inside the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4a^2.

Homework Equations

[/B]
If a surface S can be parametrized in terms of two variables u and v, then dS = Norm[dR(u,v)/du x dR(u,v)/dv].

The surface area is given by ∫∫dS where the integral is evaluated over the given region (here it would be over the region of the cylinder that lies within the sphere).

The Attempt at a Solution

I completed the square of the cylinder to get x^2 + (y-a)^2 = a^2

I parametrized the cylinder as follows (where t stands for theta):

R(t,z) = (rcos(t),rsin(t),z)
r = 2asin(t)

So R(t,z) = (2asintcost,2asintsint,z)

I computed dS = Norm[dR(t,z)/dt x dR(t,z)/dz] and got 2adtdz, which I know is correct (same answer as textbook).

For the given cylinder, t goes from 0 to Pi. By equating x^2 + y^2 in the equations given (i.e. sphere and cylinder), we get:

2ay = 4a^2 - z^2
z^2 = 4a^2 - 2ay
z^2 = 4a^2 - 2a(2a(sint)^2)
z^2 = 4a^2(1-(sint))^2
z^2 = 4a^2((cost)^2)
z = 2acost

So z goes from -2acost to 2acost.

So the Area = ∫∫1dS
= ∫∫2adzdt, where t goes from 0 to Pi and z from -2acost to 2acost.

We get:

A = ∫2a(2acost + 2acost)dt
A = ∫2a(4acost)dt
A = ∫8a^2costdt
A = 8a^2∫cost

But the integral of cost from 0 to pi = 0.

So A = 0.

The textbook uses symmetry and integrates from 0 to pi/2 (i.e. finds the area of half of the cylinder under the sphere), and then multiplies by 2. Which makes sense. But why doesn't this method work? Furthermore, ∫cost from 0 to pi is NOT EQUAL to 2∫cost from 0 to pi/2, so the two methods are not compatible. So what did I do wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral equals zero becuase you are taking negative values into account. For the volume, your should have positive values. The volumes on either side of the axis should not cancel each other out, they should add together. That is why doubling half is better.

Related to Surface Area of Cylinder inside of sphere

What is the formula for finding the surface area of a cylinder inside of a sphere?

The formula for finding the surface area of a cylinder inside of a sphere is 2πr2 + 2πr1h, where r is the radius of the sphere, r1 is the radius of the cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder.

How do you know if a cylinder can fit inside of a sphere?

A cylinder can fit inside of a sphere if the diameter of the cylinder is smaller than the diameter of the sphere. In other words, the radius of the cylinder must be less than the radius of the sphere.

What is the relationship between the surface area of a cylinder inside of a sphere and the surface area of the sphere itself?

The surface area of a cylinder inside of a sphere is always less than the surface area of the sphere. This is because the cylinder only occupies a portion of the sphere's surface area.

Can the surface area of a cylinder inside of a sphere be greater than the surface area of the sphere?

No, the surface area of a cylinder inside of a sphere can never be greater than the surface area of the sphere. This is because the cylinder is always contained within the sphere, so its surface area will always be less.

How can knowing the surface area of a cylinder inside of a sphere be useful in real-world applications?

Knowing the surface area of a cylinder inside of a sphere can be useful in engineering and construction, specifically in designing objects that need to fit inside of a spherical shape. It can also be used in calculating the amount of material needed to cover the inside of a spherical container or vessel.

Back