Surface Charge Density of shower

In summary, a shower turned on in a closed bathroom can produce a strong electric field of up to 1000 N/C due to the splashing of water on the tub. Using the dimensions of a bathroom (2.3 m x 3.6 m x 1.6 m) and assuming a uniform electric field of 647 N/C, it is possible to calculate the volume charge density and the number of excess elementary charges per cubic meter in the room's air. The volume charge density can be negative if the net charge is negative. In order to solve for the number of excess elementary charges, the value of the elementary charge (1.60217646 × 10-19 Coulombs) must be used.
popo902

Homework Statement

When a shower is turned on in a closed bathroom, the splashing of the water on the bare tub can fill the room's air with negatively charged ions and produce an electric field in the air as great as 1000 N/C. Consider a bathroom with dimensions 2.3 m x 3.6 m x 1.6 m. Along the ceiling, floor, and four walls, approximate the electric field in the air as being directed perpendicular to the surface and as having a uniform magnitude of 647 N/C. Also, treat those surfaces as forming a closed Gaussian surface around the room's air. What are (a) the volume charge density ρ and (b) the number of excess elementary charges e per cubic meter in the room's air?

Homework Equations

E dot DA = q
q = [tex]\phi\epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a
I took the area of each face and multiplied it by the net E field forces
(-647 - 647)
and i got that right
apparently density can be negative?
but
mostly what i don't understand is how to go about solving part b
I have no idea what it's asking...

Physics news on Phys.org
popo902 said:
apparently density can be negative?
Yes, when the net charge (within the volume) is negative.
mostly what i don't understand is how to go about solving part b
I have no idea what it's asking...
elementary charge, e = 1.60217646 × 10-19 Coulombs (use positive or negative as appropriate, and significant figures as appropriate for your coursework.)

Related to Surface Charge Density of shower

What is surface charge density?

Surface charge density is the measure of electric charge present on the surface of an object per unit area.

How is surface charge density calculated?

Surface charge density is calculated by dividing the total charge present on the surface of an object by its surface area.

What factors affect the surface charge density of a shower?

The surface charge density of a shower can be affected by the material of the showerhead, the water flow rate, and the water hardness.

Why is surface charge density important in a shower?

Surface charge density is important in a shower because it can affect the efficiency of the showerhead and the properties of the water, such as how well it can remove dirt and bacteria from the skin.

How can surface charge density be measured in a shower?

Surface charge density in a shower can be measured using specialized instruments such as a surface charge density meter or by performing experiments to measure the amount of charge on the surface of the showerhead.

Back