Surface definition in crystals question

In summary, surfaces are defined by two pieces of information: Miller indices (hkl) and shift, which is the displacement of the plane relative to the unit cell origin. The shift ranges from 0 to 1 and is used to distinguish between surfaces with the same Miller indices. However, the Miller indices alone are sufficient for specifying surface orientation.
Useful nucleus
I read the following paragraph about surface definition"
"Each surface is specified by at least two pieces of information.Firstly, there are the Miller indices (hkl) of the plane that defines the orientation of the bulk cleavage. Secondly, there is the so-called shift - i.e. the displacement of the plane relative to the unit cell origin. The shift ranges between 0 and 1."

I do not quite understand what the shift means. To me it looks a surface with a shift x (say x >0 ) is equivalent to another surface with different miller indices and shift zero. Am I right here?

In other words , to me it looks unnecessary to use the shift since miller indices are enough to uniqule specify the surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Miller indices only define the plane orientation. 2 parallel planes have the same Miller indices.

Take a fcc unit cell for example. If you cleave along the (001) plane, you could cut between the first/second or second/third layer. If you just used the Miller indices, there would be no way to distinguish between the 2 surfaces.

WHoops, I forgot that the Miller indices by definition have to be relatively prime! Thank you for clarification, it reminded me of the definition :)

FAQ: Surface definition in crystals question

1. What is the surface definition in crystals?

The surface definition in crystals refers to the outermost layer of a crystal structure. It is the boundary that separates the crystal from its surroundings and is determined by the arrangement of atoms or molecules in the crystal lattice.

2. How is the surface of a crystal defined?

The surface of a crystal is defined by its Miller indices, which are a set of three numbers that describe the orientation and spacing of the crystal lattice planes at the surface. These indices are used to identify the different crystal faces and determine the surface structure of a crystal.

3. What factors influence the surface definition in crystals?

The surface definition in crystals can be influenced by various factors, such as the crystal's chemical composition, growth conditions, and external forces. These factors can affect the arrangement and orientation of atoms or molecules at the surface, resulting in different surface structures.

4. Why is the surface definition in crystals important?

The surface definition in crystals is important because it can greatly affect the physical and chemical properties of the crystal. The surface is where many surface reactions and interactions take place, making it crucial for understanding the behavior and functionality of crystals in various applications.

5. How is the surface definition in crystals studied?

The surface definition in crystals can be studied using various techniques, such as scanning electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, and X-ray diffraction. These techniques allow for the visualization and characterization of the crystal surface at different scales and can provide valuable information about its structure and properties.

Back