Surface Integral of Vector F over x=xy+1

In summary, the student is trying to solve a surface integral, but is having difficulty because they do not have a well defined region to work with.
advphys
Hi to all,

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral of the vector F=xi+yj+zk over that portion of the surface x=xy+1
which covers the square 0≤x≤1 , 0≤y≤1 in the xy plane

Homework Equations

∫∫F.ndσ
n=∇g/|∇g|

maybe transformation to the volume integral

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x,y,z)=xy+1-z
n=∇g/|∇g|=(yi+xj-k)/√(y2+x2+1)

Plugging into integral,
i finally got

∫∫((xy-1)/(√(y2+x2+1))) dxdy

both x and y are from 0 to 1.
But i could not take this integral without help of a computer.

Since this is from a book's ordinary question i don't think it needs such a treatment.

I think i could transform the surface integral into a volume integral but there is not a well defined volume that can be used.

So, i stuck at this point.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, drawing the region, transforming into volume integral and subtracting three additional surface integrals; i finally found 3/4 with only pencil and paper.

thanks anyway.

advphys said:
Hi to all,

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral of the vector F=xi+yj+zk over that portion of the surface x=xy+1
From what you write below, you mean z= xy+ 1.

which covers the square 0≤x≤1 , 0≤y≤1 in the xy plane

Homework Equations

∫∫F.ndσ
n=∇g/|∇g|

maybe transformation to the volume integral
Do you mean using some version of Stoke's theorem? Those all require a closed surface which you do not have here.

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x,y,z)=xy+1-z
n=∇g/|∇g|=(yi+xj-k)/√(y2+x2+1)

Plugging into integral,
i finally got

∫∫((xy-1)/(√(y2+x2+1))) dxdy
You are confusing the integral of a scalar valued function with the integral of a vector valued function. What you are doing uses some parts of both!

both x and y are from 0 to 1.
But i could not take this integral without help of a computer.

Since this is from a book's ordinary question i don't think it needs such a treatment.

I think i could transform the surface integral into a volume integral but there is not a well defined volume that can be used.

So, i stuck at this point.

Thanks.
Instead of the surface area integral you should use the vector surface differential.
Some texts write that as [tex]\vec{u}dS[/tex] where u is a unit vector perpendicular to the surface, say the gradient, that you calculated for dS. But that require multiplying by the length of grad s in dS and diving by it in u. And they will cancel anyway.

Instead, write the surface as the xy+1- z= 0 or, even simpler, xy- z= -1, which are just different ways of writing the same surface. Now, grad(xy- z)= <y, x, -1> and the "vector differential of surface area is [itex]d\vec{S}= <y, x, -1>dx dy[/itex] (because only x and y appear in that normal vector, it is simplest to choose x and y as parameters).

Now, the vector function to be integrated is [itex]\vec{F}= xi+ yj+ zk= xi+ yj+ (xy+ 1)k[/itex] on this surface where I have written z in terms of the parameters x and y.

So [itex]\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{S}= <x, y, (xy+ 1)>\cdot <y, x, -1>dxdy= xy+ xy- xy- 1= xy- 1[/itex]

The integral you want is [itex]\int_{x=0}^1\int_{y= 0}^1 xy- 1 dydx[/itex]

But, you did not specify an orientation for the surface here! You cannot do a vector surface integral without specifying an orientation for the surface. I, since I use <y, x, -1> as normal vector, am assuming downward (the z component is negative) orientation. If the problem specifies an upward or orientation, use <-y, -x, 1> which would just multiply the final result by -1.

FAQ: Surface Integral of Vector F over x=xy+1

1. What is the concept behind the surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1?

The surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1 is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total flux of a vector field over a two-dimensional surface. This involves integrating the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector of the surface over the given area.

2. How is the surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1 different from other types of integrals?

The surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1 differs from other types of integrals, such as line integrals or double integrals, because it involves integrating over a two-dimensional surface rather than a one-dimensional curve or a three-dimensional volume.

3. What is the formula for calculating the surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1?

The formula for calculating the surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1 is ∬S F · dS, where S is the given surface and dS is the infinitesimal area element of the surface. This can also be written as ∬S (F(x,y) · n) dA, where n is the unit normal vector of the surface and dA is the infinitesimal area element in the xy-plane.

4. What are some real-world applications of the surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1?

The surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1 has many real-world applications, such as calculating the flow of a fluid over a surface, finding the amount of heat transfer over a surface, and determining the total electric flux through a closed surface. It is also used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

5. How is the surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1 related to the divergence theorem?

The surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1 is closely related to the divergence theorem, which states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the enclosed volume. In other words, the surface integral of vector F over x=xy+1 is equal to the triple integral of the divergence of F over the region enclosed by the surface.

Back