Surface integral problem: ##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS##

In summary, the conversation discusses a surface integral problem involving a surface with a vector equation. The attempt at a solution involves manipulating the integral and using polar coordinates, resulting in a positive answer. However, the answer sheet claims the answer is zero, which is likely incorrect.
A330NEO

Homework Statement

##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS##, ##S##is the surface with vector equation ##r(u, v)## = ##(2uv, u^2-v^2, u^2+v^2)##, ##u^2+v^2 \leq 1##

Homework Equations

Surface Integral. ##\iint_S f(x, y, z)dS = \iint f(r(u, v))\left | r_u \times r_v \right |dA##,

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried to shift the form of ##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS##. ##x^2+y^2##.
##x^2+y^2## = ##u^4v^4+2u^2v^2+v^4##, and ##\left | r_u \times r_v \right |## = ##\sqrt{32v^4+64u^2v^2+32u^4}##
Thus, the initial integral becomes ##\iint_S 2^2sqrt{2}(u^2+v^2)^3 dudv##
I used polar coordinates, as u = rsin##\theta## and v = ##rsin\theta##. ##0\leq r\leq 1##, ## 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi##. As result, the answer came to be ##2^3\sqrt{2}/5*\pi## but the answer sheet says its zero. Am I missing something?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I checked your algebra, and all looks good up to the switch to polar coords.
Did you try without the substitution?

I tried, but it was way too complexed. Anyway, if my algebra and switghing to polar coords is not bad, is it presumable that the 'answer sheet' is wrong?

You know immediately just looking at the problem that the answer must be positive. The integrand is nonnegative. So, yes, the answer sheet is wrong.

FAQ: Surface integral problem: ##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS##

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to measure the flux or flow of a vector field across a surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space.

What does the notation ##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS## mean?

The double integral notation represents the surface integral, where the function being integrated is ##x^2+y^2## and the surface of integration is denoted by ##S##. The differential element ##dS## represents the infinitesimal area of the surface being integrated over.

How is a surface integral different from a regular double integral?

A surface integral differs from a regular double integral in that it integrates over a two-dimensional surface rather than a two-dimensional region in the xy-plane. It also takes into account the orientation of the surface, which is not a factor in regular double integrals.

What are some common applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, finding the surface area of a three-dimensional object, and determining the mass of a thin plate with varying density.

How can I solve a surface integral problem like ##\iint_S (x^2+y^2)dS##?

To solve a surface integral, you will need to determine the limits of integration for the variables on the surface, set up the integral using the appropriate differential element, and then evaluate the integral using integration techniques. It is also important to properly orient the surface and choose the correct direction for the normal vector in order to get the correct answer.