SURFACE INTEGRALS appying to z=f(x,y) x=f(y,z) and y=f(x,z)

In summary, the convention of labeling the axes as x, y, and z is a choice made by the person solving the problem and it may not always be possible to express an equation in terms of x, y, and z. The implicit function theorem and the use of parameters u and v can help in expressing a surface in terms of two variables. The differential of surface area can be calculated using the cross product of the partial derivatives of the surface equation.
PhysicsHelp12
You know when a definition is given in terms of z=f(x,y) like the surface integral

and its assmed to apply to y=f(x,z)and x=f(y,z) too ...

Why is this?

I know theyre just variables ...but since x y and z mean something specifically wrt the

coordinate system

Would it be trivial to say By Symmetry, x=f(y,z) and y=f(x,z) applies too ?

which way is better to think about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it matter? Labeling the axis x, y and z is your own choice, you can label them in any manner you want. Yes there is a convention but the labels we give are our own choice and the reason we choose a particular convention is so others would have an idea when they try to do the problem.

Note that it may not always be possible to express an equation z=f(x,y) as x=f(y,z) or y=f(x,z). That has something to do with the implicit function thereom.

In general a surface, being a two dimensional geometric object, can be written in terms of 2 parameters: [itex]\vec{r}= f(u,v)\vec{i}+ g(u,v)\vec{j}+ h(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex]
or simply [itex]x= f(u,v)[/itex], [itex]y= g(u,v)[/itex], [itex]z= h(u,v)[/itex].

IF the surface is given as z= h(x,y), then you can use x and y themselves as "u" and "v": x= f(x,y)= x, y= g(x,y)= y, z= h(x,y).

IF it is possible to solve for y, say y= g(x, z), then you can use x and z as "u" and "v": x= f(x,z)= x, y= g(x,z), z= h(x,z)= z.

IF it is possible to solve for x, say x= f(y,z), then you can use y and z as "u" and "v":
x= f(x,z), y= g(y,z)= y, z= h(y,z)= z.

But it is quite possible that NONE of those can be used. For example, with the surface of the unit sphere, none of x, y, or z can be written as a function of the other two. What you can do is use spherical coordinates with [itex]\rho[/itex] set to 1:
[itex]x= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= cos(\phi)[/itex].

A good way to find the "differential of surface area" when given x= f(u,v), y= g(u,v), z= h(u,v) or, equivalently, [itex]\vec{r}= f(u,v)\vec{i}+ g(u,v)\vec{j}+ h(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex] is to take the derivatives: [itex]\vec{r}_u= f_u\vec{i}+ g_u\vec{j}+ h_u\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_v= f_v\vec{i}+ g_v\vec{j}+ h_v\vec{k}[/itex] and then take their cross product. The differential of surface area is [itex]dS= ||\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v|| dudv[/itex].

Even simpler is the "vector differential of surface area" (calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, say): [itex]d\vec{S}= \vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v dudv[/itex]

For example, if you are given z= f(x,y) then [itex]\vec{r}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ f(x,y)\vec{k}[/itex] so [itex]\vec{r}_x= \vec{i}+ f_x\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_y= \vec{j}+ f_y\vec{k}[/itex] so the cross product is [itex]f_x\vec{i}+ f_y\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex] (or its negative, depending on orientation) and the length of that is
[itex]\sqrt{f_x^2+ f_y^2+ 1}[/itex] so the differential of surface area is just the "usual" formula [itex]\sqrt{f_x^2+ f_y^2+ 1}dx dy[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to SURFACE INTEGRALS appying to z=f(x,y) x=f(y,z) and y=f(x,z)

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical technique used to calculate the total value of a function over a two-dimensional surface. It involves breaking the surface into smaller pieces and summing the values of the function over each piece.

2. How is a surface integral applied to z=f(x,y)?

In this case, the surface integral is used to calculate the total value of the function z=f(x,y) over a two-dimensional surface in the xy-plane. This can be thought of as finding the volume under the surface z=f(x,y) when viewed from above.

3. How is a surface integral applied to x=f(y,z)?

Here, the surface integral is used to find the total value of the function x=f(y,z) over a two-dimensional surface in the yz-plane. This can be visualized as finding the volume under the surface x=f(y,z) when viewed from the side.

4. How is a surface integral applied to y=f(x,z)?

In this scenario, the surface integral is used to determine the total value of the function y=f(x,z) over a two-dimensional surface in the xz-plane. This can be imagined as finding the volume under the surface y=f(x,z) when viewed from the other side.

5. What are the practical applications of surface integrals applying to z=f(x,y) x=f(y,z) and y=f(x,z)?

Surface integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as electric flux, fluid flow, and surface area. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional objects on a two-dimensional screen.