Surface integrals (without real integration)

In summary: It'll make more sense that way.In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to find the area of a cylinder by integrating a vector function. However, he is not understanding what a surface integral is and is getting lost. He suggests that the reader work out the problem the hard way and then look back to understand it better.
mewmew
Given F= [tex](ix+jy) Ln(x^2+y^2)[/tex]

and given S, which is a cylinder of radius r, and height h(in the z axis) evaluate [tex] \int\int_s F.n \,ds[/tex]. It says that you shouldn't need to do any work if you think about it enough. I figured I could find the area of the main part to be [tex]2 \pi r h[/tex] then multiply that by [tex]Ln(r^2)=2Ln(r)[/tex] to get the answer but I am off by a factor of r in my answer. I don't think the caps to the cylinder contribute to this as the normal is orthogonal to F.

One more question, what exactly does a surface integral return? I feel stupid but I can't seem to find out exactly what the physical meaning of the result of a surface integral is. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mewmew said:
Given F= [tex](ix+jy) Ln(x^2+y^2)[/tex]

and given S, which is a cylinder of radius r, and height h(in the z axis) evaluate [tex] \int\int_s F.n \,ds[/tex]. It says that you shouldn't need to do any work if you think about it enough. I figured I could find the area of the main part to be [tex]2 \pi r h[/tex] then multiply that by [tex]Ln(r^2)=2Ln(r)[/tex] to get the answer but I am off by a factor of r in my answer. I don't think the caps to the cylinder contribute to this as the normal is orthogonal to F.

One more question, what exactly does a surface integral return? I feel stupid but I can't seem to find out exactly what the physical meaning of the result of a surface integral is. Thanks for the help.

A surface integral is the integral of a function over a surface, as opposed to a line, etc. Unit-wise you are gaining an extra meter^2. As far as a physical meaning, it depends on what you are integrating.

What's happening in this integration would be easier to understand if you switch everything to polar coordinates.

-Dan

I think I'm just confusing myself more :rolleyes: If I integrate that vector function around a cylinder than it will be 0. I can imagine that we would have constant vectors of magnitude [tex]Ln[r^2][/tex] all in the radial direction around the cylinder for any z value. I guess I still don't have a good enough understanding of what a surface integral really is to be able to find an easy way to express this. I think its time to re-read some div,grad,curl.

Last edited:
As topsquark said, switch over to polar.

In fact, I suggest you work this out the hard way and then look back.

FAQ: Surface integrals (without real integration)

1. What are surface integrals?

Surface integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field across a two-dimensional surface. They are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics.

2. How are surface integrals different from regular integrals?

Surface integrals involve integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface, whereas regular integrals involve integrating a function over a one-dimensional interval. The main difference is that surface integrals take into account the surface area of the two-dimensional shape, whereas regular integrals only consider the length of the one-dimensional interval.

3. What is the formula for calculating a surface integral?

The formula for a surface integral is ∫∫S F(x,y,z) · dS, where F(x,y,z) is a vector field, dS is the infinitesimal surface area element, and the integration is performed over the surface S.

4. What is the significance of surface integrals in science?

Surface integrals have many important applications in science, such as calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, determining the mass and center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and finding the work done by a force on a moving object. They are also used in various equations and laws, such as Gauss's law and Stokes' theorem.

5. Are there any real-world examples of surface integrals?

Surface integrals are used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the flow of fluid through a pipe, determining the electric field around a charged object, and finding the force on an object due to air resistance. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional objects and in geography to calculate the surface area of a terrain.