Surviving the Sun's Disappearance: The Life Expectancy of Earth's Inhabitants

• Thread starter Charlie G
  • Start date
In summary, if the Sun were to just disappear, life on Earth would die within a week due to the extreme temperature drop. Simple life forms would probably be able to survive for a long time, but sub-terrain life forms would not be able to survive because of the extreme temperature change. The atmosphere would become less dense, causing it to leak gases and the surface pressure would rise. Eventually, Earth would take on the attributes of Titan or Europa and be much more like those planets.
Charlie G
How long would life forms be able to live if the sun were to just disappear and send us flying into space?
How fast would the planets temperature drop to a dangerous level?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you know something you want to share?

If I wanted to make a rough estimate, I'd consider how much the temperature usually drops from daytime to nighttime. About 10 C, or 15-20 F? Then imagine the temperature continues dropping by that much every 12 hours.

In just wondering thought. I would think surface life forms would be gone relatively fast (including us). Plant life would also perish due to absence sunlight and cold.

However, if looking at broad spectrum life forms. I would think simple life forms would be around for a long time, perhaps several millions of years.

Sub terrain life forms would still have geothermal heat. Also I don't think the oceans would freeze to the bottom for the same reason. There may be several kilometers of ice but still still liquid H2O under it.

As an example the life that exists around geothermal vent in the deep ocean is quite robust. to both temperature and pressure.
The same thing being with bacteria that exist withing the deeper earth.

I guess the planet would eventually wonder off in the direction of Proxima Centuria.
However, I don't think it would be a totally dead planet for quite a long time.

But, I am not going to worry about the Sun just shutting down on a moments notice.:smile:

Waveform said:
In just wondering thought. I would think surface life forms would be gone relatively fast (including us). Plant life would also perish due to absence sunlight and cold.

However, if looking at broad spectrum life forms. I would think simple life forms would be around for a long time, perhaps several millions of years.

Sub terrain life forms would still have geothermal heat. Also I don't think the oceans would freeze to the bottom for the same reason. There may be several kilometers of ice but still still liquid H2O under it.

As an example the life that exists around geothermal vent in the deep ocean is quite robust. to both temperature and pressure.
The same thing being with bacteria that exist withing the deeper earth.

I guess the planet would eventually wonder off in the direction of Proxima Centuria.
However, I don't think it would be a totally dead planet for quite a long time.

But, I am not going to worry about the Sun just shutting down on a moments notice.:smile:

Obviously gravity would be affected...what would happen to the atmosphere...step by step?

Gravity on the Earth per se would not be effected. We would loose the solar gravitational attraction letting us go off is some arbitrary direction.

As the temperature started to drop, the coefficient of volumetric expansion would kick in and start to reduce the volume of atmospheric gases.
The surface pressure would rise slightly. As the temperature falls further each atmospheric gas will arrive at a pressure / temperature curve in which the gas will liquefy.

Ignoring trace gases, oxygen would liquefy depending on the pressure ≈ 180°C. Nitrogen would not be far behind at ≈ 195°C.
Some trace gases would drop much more in temperature before liquefying.

Perhaps there may for a time be enough geothermal heat escaping at the surface to vaporize surface liquid O2 / N only to condense and ‘rain’ back to the surface.

Generally, Earth would eventually take on the attributes and become much more like Titan or Europa.

I think Redbelly's estimate is probably good. If we start at 80F or 300K, and figure a 10K per 12 hour drop that's about 6.6% drop per day, giving 44F after one day, 10F after two, -20F after three, -51F after four. I don't know how you want to define a dangerous level, but I'd guess almost all humans would be dead within a week.

I wonder who would be best off for living the longest. At first the ISS popped into my head, but without the sun for solar power they wouldn't last long. Next I thought about a nuclear sub. They can go months without surfacing, and the ocean would probably retain heat for a while. If they set down on the floor somewhere where it isn't that deep and get as much geothermal heat as possible. I'd guess they'd last a few months until their food ran out. Scientist at the Antarctic research station would be somewhat prepared but as Waveform pointed out oxygen in the air would become liquid, so even if they could keep warm breathing would be the real issue. I can't think of any human that would be able to survive more than a year.

Related to Surviving the Sun's Disappearance: The Life Expectancy of Earth's Inhabitants

How long would we have?

The question of how long we have as a species is a complex and multi-faceted one. There are several factors that can influence the answer, and it ultimately depends on our actions and choices as a society. Here are five commonly asked questions about how long we have as a species, along with brief answers based on scientific research and projections.

1. How long do humans have left on Earth?

It is difficult to predict an exact timeline for the survival of humanity on Earth. However, if we continue on our current trajectory of unsustainable resource use and environmental degradation, it is estimated that we have anywhere from 100-1000 years left before our planet becomes uninhabitable for human life.

2. How long until we run out of resources?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as it depends on the specific resource in question and how efficiently we use it. However, it is estimated that we have less than 100 years left of oil reserves, and other important resources such as phosphorus and fresh water are also being depleted at unsustainable rates.

3. How long until climate change becomes irreversible?

The effects of climate change are already being felt around the world, and some of these impacts may be irreversible. However, if we take immediate and drastic action to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, we may be able to prevent the worst-case scenarios and mitigate some of the damage. The exact timeframe for irreversible effects of climate change is difficult to predict, but it is imperative that we act now to minimize its impact.

4. How long until overpopulation becomes a major problem?

Overpopulation is already a major problem in many parts of the world, with over 7.8 billion people on the planet and growing. While it is difficult to predict exactly when overpopulation will reach a critical point, it is clear that it is already causing serious issues such as resource depletion, environmental degradation, and social and economic inequality. It is important for us to address overpopulation and work towards sustainable population levels to ensure a better future for all.

5. How long until we find another habitable planet?

Finding another habitable planet is a complex and ongoing process. While we have discovered thousands of exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system), it is difficult to determine which ones may be suitable for human habitation. It is also a huge undertaking to travel to and establish a sustainable human presence on another planet. Scientists and researchers are constantly searching for potential habitable planets, but it may be many decades or even centuries before we are able to find and reach a suitable alternative to Earth.

Back