Suspect a postdoc installed a keylogger on my personally owned compute

• Thread starter Physics_UG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Postdoc
In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's experience leaving grad school due to a breakdown and experiencing paranoia. They suspected a postdoc had installed a keylogger on their computer and expressed concern about the legality of this. The speaker also shared their struggles with leaving the past behind and receiving appropriate treatment. The conversation also touched on the importance of having a support system and seeking professional help.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I left grad school about 3 years ago. I had some sort of breakdown and decided to leave. Well, a lot of strange things happened and I got really paranoid. One example is whenever I would search for something on my computer a postdoc would repeat it to someone else and I heard it. I suspected he installed a keylogger on my computer, which is definitely an invasion of my privacy. Also, one of the grad students came in and said "he installed a keylogger on his computer and doesn't want to admit it." I don't know who 'he' refers to, but I assume it is the postdoc, and 'his' I assume refers to me.

Is this legal? I can't find anything that says it is. I even found a keylogger on my computer several months after I left school. I used a KL detector.

Physics news on Phys.org

I really, really doubt it is legal. But since it's 3 years ago and since you seem to be lacking hard evidence that it really was the postdoc, I doubt you can do anything about it. Just forget about it.

All these people in my group really messed with me. I ended up in a mental institution because of it. I am having trouble leaving the past in the past.

Physics_UG said:
All these people in my group really messed with me. I ended up in a mental institution because of it. I am having trouble leaving the past in the past.

That's sad to hear :frown: I guess I could say to just forget about the past. But I know extremely well that this is not easy at all. The past can really haunt you and make you feel very bad.

Are you still under psychologic treatment?? If you can't leave the past for what it is, then such a treatment is certainly useful and recommended.
Or does the treatment not help?? You are certainly allowed to find other practicioners who can provide the help you need.

How is your personal life?? Do you have some friends/lovers/family who you can trust and who you can talk to? A good support group is something that is often underestimated but it really is very necessary.

micromass said:
That's sad to hear :frown: I guess I could say to just forget about the past. But I know extremely well that this is not easy at all. The past can really haunt you and make you feel very bad.

Are you still under psychologic treatment?? If you can't leave the past for what it is, then such a treatment is certainly useful and recommended.
Or does the treatment not help?? You are certainly allowed to find other practicioners who can provide the help you need.

How is your personal life?? Do you have some friends/lovers/family who you can trust and who you can talk to? A good support group is something that is often underestimated but it really is very necessary.

thanks micro. I see a psychiatrist every month and I am about to start seeing a therapist. The meds I take get rid of the voices I started hearing, but does nothing for my paranoia and my obsession with the past.

Physics_UG said:
thanks micro. I see a psychiatrist every month and I am about to start seeing a therapist. The meds I take get rid of the voices I started hearing, but does nothing for my paranoia and my obsession with the past.

Every month? That doesn't sound very often. It seems to me that you really need professional help. Seeing somebody every month doesn't seem sufficient. I'm not a psychiatrist though, so I can't give decent advice. But you might want to get second opinions with other psychiatrists.

I'm glad the meds work (at least partially). Maybe you can ask your psychiatrist for stronger meds or different meds? It usually takes a few tries before people discover meds that is good for them.

And do try to interact with people. Many people like you tend to isolate themselves. I don't think this is a very good thing. I'm very happy that you're talking to people on this forum. I hope you will continue to do so.

micromass said:
Every month? That doesn't sound very often. It seems to me that you really need professional help. Seeing somebody every month doesn't seem sufficient. I'm not a psychiatrist though, so I can't give decent advice. But you might want to get second opinions with other psychiatrists.

I'm glad the meds work (at least partially). Maybe you can ask your psychiatrist for stronger meds or different meds? It usually takes a few tries before people discover meds that is good for them.

And do try to interact with people. Many people like you tend to isolate themselves. I don't think this is a very good thing. I'm very happy that you're talking to people on this forum. I hope you will continue to do so.

I will be seeing a new psychiatrist next month. I also plan on seeing a therapist once a month. These services are very expensive though and I can't afford to see them more frequently. I recently lost my job partly due to my paranoia and I have very little money saved.

You might try getting mental help through local government health services. Good luck to you.

Related to Suspect a postdoc installed a keylogger on my personally owned compute

1. How can I tell if a keylogger has been installed on my computer?

To determine if a keylogger has been installed on your computer, you can use antivirus software or a specialized keylogger detection tool. These tools can scan your computer for any suspicious programs or processes that may be recording your keystrokes.

2. What are the potential risks of having a keylogger on my computer?

A keylogger can potentially allow the person who installed it to access sensitive information such as passwords, credit card numbers, and other personal data. It can also be used to monitor your online activity and steal confidential information.

3. How could a postdoc have installed a keylogger on my personally owned computer?

There are several ways a postdoc could have installed a keylogger on your computer, such as through physical access to your computer, through email attachments or links, or by exploiting vulnerabilities in your operating system or software.

4. What should I do if I suspect a keylogger has been installed on my computer by a postdoc?

If you suspect a postdoc has installed a keylogger on your computer, it is important to take immediate action. First, disconnect your computer from the internet and run a full antivirus scan. Next, change all of your passwords and monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity. You should also contact your IT department or a computer security expert for further assistance.

5. How can I protect my computer from keyloggers?

To protect your computer from keyloggers, it is important to have up-to-date antivirus software and to regularly scan your computer for any threats. Additionally, be cautious of downloading and opening attachments or clicking on links from unknown sources. It is also a good idea to use a virtual keyboard when entering sensitive information, as keyloggers are unable to record virtual keystrokes.