Swift or Objective-C first for iOS development?

• Thread starter ConfusedMonkey
  • Start date
In summary, for someone wanting to learn iOS development, it is recommended to start with Swift as it is the preferred language for iOS and is easier to learn than Objective-C. However, it is also suggested to eventually learn Objective-C for a more comprehensive understanding of iOS development. Additionally, for those interested in developing for both iOS and Android, learning Kotlin and Swift can provide a more universal skill set.
ConfusedMonkey
I want to learn iOS development. I want to learn both objective-c and swift, but I am having trouble deciding which one is the best one to start with. A lot of answers that I google are not helpful at all.

My background: I have some programming experience, but I have not dived deep into any language. I am not intimidated to learn anything that is considered very difficult. I think I am capable of learning at a swift pace.

So, which one first? Objective-C or Swift?

Technology news on Phys.org
I would do Swift as this is the language of choice for iOS. Once you're comfortable with the tools and the language then branch out into Objective-C. As some support for this suggestion:

https://www.infoworld.com/article/2...ive-c-10-reasons-the-future-favors-swift.html

For Android its a toss up between Java and Kotlin and in that case I would choose Kotlin as its arguably a better Java than Java.

Lastly, here's a comparision between Swift and Kotlin just so you know as apps for iOS sometimes get moved to Android for wider market appeal:

https://dev.to/sciencesoft/kotlin-v...-moving-towards-creating-a-universal-language

Likes ConfusedMonkey

Related to Swift or Objective-C first for iOS development?

1. Should I learn Swift or Objective-C first for iOS development?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. However, many developers recommend starting with Swift as it is the newer and more modern language for iOS development. It also has a more user-friendly syntax and is easier to learn compared to Objective-C.

2. Is learning Objective-C still relevant for iOS development?

While Swift is gaining popularity and is becoming the preferred language for iOS development, Objective-C is still widely used in the industry. Many existing iOS apps are written in Objective-C, and it is also still being actively maintained and updated by Apple. Therefore, it is still valuable to learn Objective-C, especially if you want to work on legacy projects.

3. Can I use both Swift and Objective-C in the same project?

Yes, you can use both languages in the same project. Swift and Objective-C are interoperable, which means you can use code written in one language in a project written in the other. This allows developers to gradually transition from Objective-C to Swift or use both languages in a project that requires it.

4. Which language is better for app development - Swift or Objective-C?

Again, this is a matter of personal preference and project requirements. Swift offers many benefits such as a more modern syntax, easier to read and write code, and improved memory management. On the other hand, Objective-C has a larger community and more resources available for learning and troubleshooting. Ultimately, the best language for app development depends on the developer and their specific project needs.

5. Do I need to learn both Swift and Objective-C to become an iOS developer?

Not necessarily. While knowing both languages can be beneficial, it is not a requirement. Many developers are successful in their careers by focusing on one language and becoming experts in it. However, having a basic understanding of both languages can make you a more versatile and marketable developer.