Switched v. unswitched car cigarette lighter?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a newly purchased Dash Cam, which is supposed to power up and down with the car's ignition. However, due to an unswitched cigarette lighter plug, the device drains the car's battery when the car is turned off. The conversation explores potential solutions, such as modifying the car's electronics or tapping into the car's circuitry, and also mentions the discovery of fuses with settings like "ignition" and "constant." Ultimately, it is suggested to use a hot lead that is switched to solve the issue.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Just bought a Dash Cam for my car - HP F310.

It is supposed to power up when the car is turned on and power down when the car is turned off. Seems to me that the only way it can do this is if the cigarette lighter plug that it is plugged into is "switched" (i.e., the plug is powered only when the vehicle is on).

The plug in my car is unswitched, i. e.it is powered even without keys in the ignition. So, yes. When I turn my car off, the device stays on. Were I to leave the F310 plugged in, it would drain my battery.

Seems to me this is a critical design flaw, rendering the device essentially unusable (unless I want to yank it out every time I get out of the car).

Can anyone suggest a solution? Is there a way I can get my cig lighter to turn off when the car is off? I would really rather not mess with my car's electrics.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wow, I didn't know un-switched lighter sockets existed. That IS a problem. I can't see how you would get around that withOUT messing w/ the car's electronics. Good luck.

Oh ... well, it is physically possible to ADD something to tap into the car's circuitry that would know when the ignition is off and could be used to drive a relay to the dash cam. By one way of looking at it, that would not be messing with the cars electronics ('cause not modifiying them, just taping onto one of the wires), but I think probably the way you are looking at it, it would be.

Well, you learn something new every day.

Apparently, fuses have settings. Like 'ignition' and 'constant'.

DaveC426913 said:

You've lost me there. How is that relevant to your problem?

The cigarette lighter plug in my 300M has a fuse. Apparently that particular fuse can be set so that it only comes on with the ignition.

Likes harborsparrow
DaveC426913 said:
The cigarette lighter plug in my 300M has a fuse. Apparently that particular fuse can be set so that it only comes on with the ignition.
Ah. Nice.

Jeez, this is thread is telling me lots of new stuff about cars.

DaveC426913 said:

How did you find this out? Settings on fuses is a new one on me.

I would have found a hot lead that was switched and wired it in place of the unswitched hot wire that is currently connected to the lighter. I did essentially this on one of my motorcycles when I installed heated handgrips.

Mark44 said:
How did you find this out? Settings on fuses is a new one on me.
By asking on my 300M Enthusiasts' forum.

FAQ: Switched v. unswitched car cigarette lighter?

What is the difference between a switched and unswitched car cigarette lighter?

A switched car cigarette lighter is connected to a circuit that is only activated when the car's ignition is turned on. This means that the lighter will only work when the car is running. On the other hand, an unswitched car cigarette lighter is connected to a circuit that is always active, regardless of whether the car is running or not.

Can I use both a switched and unswitched car cigarette lighter at the same time?

Yes, you can use both types of car cigarette lighters at the same time. However, the switched lighter will only work when the car is running, while the unswitched lighter will work at all times.

Which type of car cigarette lighter is better for charging devices?

It depends on your personal preference and needs. A switched car cigarette lighter may be more convenient for charging devices while driving, as it will automatically turn off when the car is turned off. However, an unswitched lighter may be more useful for charging devices when the car is not running.

Can I add a switched or unswitched car cigarette lighter to my car if it doesn't already have one?

Yes, you can add a car cigarette lighter to your car if it doesn't already have one. However, it is recommended to have a professional install it to ensure it is connected properly and does not cause any electrical issues.

Are there any safety concerns with using a car cigarette lighter?

Yes, there are some safety concerns with using a car cigarette lighter. It is important to only use it for its intended purpose of charging devices and to not overload it with too many devices or high-powered devices. Additionally, always make sure to unplug devices when not in use to prevent any potential fire hazards.