Symbolic Logic Homework: Mean & Friendly Elves Bite

• Thread starter hjqusai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, Symbolic Logic is a branch of logic that uses symbols and rules to analyze and evaluate the validity of arguments. Its purpose is to provide a systematic and rigorous method for evaluating arguments and distinguishing between valid and invalid ones. In Symbolic Logic, the term "mean" refers to the truth or falsity of a statement, rather than its emotional or moral implications. "Friendly elves" and "bite" are symbols used to represent logical statements in this context. To improve understanding and complete homework, practice constructing arguments and familiarize yourself with the rules and principles of Symbolic Logic, and consider seeking help from a tutor or additional resources.
hjqusai

Homework Statement

Symbolize this statement:
Given that some mean elf will bite and some friendly one will too, the mean ones will bite whether or not provoked but the friendly ones will bite only if provoked.

Homework Equations

let's say A=for all, E=there exists, & is and, (or) is or, ~ is negation, -> is conditional, <-> is biconditional
F(1) is friendly
G(1) is mean
H(1) is an elf
I(1) will bite
J(1) is provoked

The Attempt at a Solution

(Ey ((Hy & Gy) & (Iy → (Jy (or) ~Jy))) & Ey ((Hy & Fy) & (Iy → Jy)))

it wasn't right...

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm sorry, but your attempt at a solution is not completely correct. Here is a possible correct symbolization for the given statement:

A: All elves are either mean or friendly.
E: There exists an elf who will bite.
F: There exists a friendly elf.
G: There exists a mean elf.
H: For all elves, if they are mean, they will bite whether or not provoked.
I: For all elves, if they are friendly, they will bite only if provoked.

Symbolization:

(A -> (E & (F (or) G))) & ((H & I) -> (J (or) ~J))

Explanation:

The first part of the statement, "Given that some mean elf will bite and some friendly one will too," can be symbolized as "A -> (E & (F (or) G))," which means that if all elves are either mean or friendly, then there exists at least one elf who will bite.

The second part of the statement, "the mean ones will bite whether or not provoked but the friendly ones will bite only if provoked," can be symbolized as "(H & I) -> (J (or) ~J)," which means that if an elf is mean and provoked, or if an elf is friendly and provoked, then they will bite. However, if an elf is friendly and not provoked, they will not bite.

Therefore, the final symbolization is:

(A -> (E & (F (or) G))) & ((H & I) -> (J (or) ~J))

Related to Symbolic Logic Homework: Mean & Friendly Elves Bite

Q1: What is Symbolic Logic?

Symbolic Logic is a branch of logic that deals with the study of symbols and their relationships, which represent logical statements and arguments. It uses symbols and rules to analyze and evaluate the validity of arguments.

Q2: What is the purpose of Symbolic Logic?

The purpose of Symbolic Logic is to provide a systematic and rigorous method for evaluating the logical structure of arguments, and to distinguish between valid and invalid arguments.

Q3: What does the term "mean" in "Mean & Friendly Elves Bite" mean?

In Symbolic Logic, the term "mean" refers to the concept of a statement being true or false, as opposed to being nice or rude. It is used to evaluate the logical validity of arguments, rather than the emotional or moral implications of the statements.

Q4: What do "friendly elves" and "bite" represent in this context?

In Symbolic Logic, "friendly elves" and "bite" are symbols used to represent logical statements. "Friendly elves" could represent a group of creatures, and "bite" could represent an action. These symbols are used to construct logical arguments and evaluate their validity.

Q5: How can I improve my understanding of Symbolic Logic and complete my homework?

To improve your understanding of Symbolic Logic, it is important to practice constructing arguments using symbols, and to familiarize yourself with the rules and principles of Symbolic Logic. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or consulting additional resources can also be helpful in completing your homework successfully.