Symmetry groups of molecule - Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation is about molecular symmetry and its Hamiltonian. The question is whether the Hamiltonian of a molecule belonging to a specific point symmetry group commutes with all the symmetry elements of that group. The answer is yes, which is essentially by definition as atoms with the same number of protons and neutrons are indistinguishable. This is enforced through the use of first-quantized formulations in practical applications. The individual requesting help is looking for any additional references or demonstrations on the topic.
Konte
Hello everybody,

As I mentioned in the title, it is about molecular symmetry and its Hamiltonian.
My question is simple:
For any molecule that belong to a precise point symmetry group. Is the Hamiltonian of this molecule commute with all the symmetry element of its point symmetry group?

Thanks.
Konte

Physics news on Phys.org
A. Neumaier said:
Yes.
Thank you for your answer.
Could you please indicate how to demonstrate this (any link or book?)

Konte said:
Thank you for your answer.
Could you please indicate how to demonstrate this (any link or book?)
I don't know of a reference. This is more or less by definition, because atoms with the same number of protons and neutrons are indistinguishable. If you use a second-quantized formulation, you cannot create Hamiltonians where this fails.

In practice one uses first-quantized formulations only and enforces this through how the molecular force field is set up - by imposing identical coefficients on terms that differ only by a permutation.

Last edited:
Likes Konte
A. Neumaier said:
I don't know of a reference. This is more or less by definition, because atoms with the same number of protons and neutrons are indistinguishable. If you use a second-quantized formulation, you cannot create Hamiltonians where this fails.

In practice one uses first-quantized formulations only and enforces this through how the molecular force field is set up.

Many thanks anyway. In fact, I suspect that the answer is "yes" , so you reassure me largely.
I turn to somebody who can indicate any demonstration if possible please.

Thanks

Related to Symmetry groups of molecule - Hamiltonian

1. What is a symmetry group of a molecule?

A symmetry group of a molecule is a mathematical concept used to describe the symmetries of a molecule's structure. It is a collection of operations that leave the molecule's structure unchanged, including rotations, reflections, and translations.

2. How are symmetry groups of molecules related to the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used to describe the energy of a molecule. The symmetry group of a molecule is related to the Hamiltonian because it can be used to simplify and classify the Hamiltonian, making it easier to solve and understand the molecule's properties.

3. Why is understanding the symmetry group of a molecule important?

Understanding the symmetry group of a molecule is important because it can provide insights into the molecule's physical and chemical properties. It can also help predict how the molecule will interact with other molecules and how it will behave in different environments.

4. How are symmetry groups of molecules determined?

There are various methods for determining the symmetry group of a molecule, including group theory and character tables. These methods involve analyzing the molecule's structure and identifying the operations that leave it unchanged.

5. Can the symmetry group of a molecule change?

Yes, the symmetry group of a molecule can change if the molecule undergoes a structural change, such as a chemical reaction. However, the symmetry group can also remain the same if the structural change preserves its symmetries.