Symplectomorphisms preserving tautological one-forms

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    One-forms
In summary: Your Name] In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of symplectomorphisms preserving "tautological" one-forms on a symplectic manifold. The key to solving this problem is understanding the relationship between the one-form and the unique vector field v that satisfies \iota_v \omega = -\alpha. By applying the symplectomorphism g to v and using the fact that g preserves \alpha, it can be shown that g_*v = v. This solution relies on the fact that v is the only vector field that satisfies this property.
Kreizhn
Symplectomorphisms preserving "tautological" one-forms

Homework Statement

Let [itex] (M,\omega) [/itex] be a symplectic manifold such that there is a smooth one-form [itex] \alpha \in \Omega^1(M) [/itex] satisfying [itex] \alpha = -d\omega [/itex]. Let [itex] v \in \Gamma(TM) [/itex] be the unique vector field such that [itex] \iota_v \omega = -\alpha [/itex]. If [itex] g: M \to M [/itex] is any symplectomorphism that preserves [itex] \alpha [/itex] (that is [itex] g^*\alpha = \alpha [/itex]) show that [itex] g_* v = v [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

This has been giving me trouble for a few days and I don't think it should be that difficult. The attempt I like most thus far is the following: Let [itex] p,q \in M [/itex] such that g(p) = q, so that [itex] g^* \alpha_q = \alpha_p [/itex]. Thus
[tex] \begin{align*}
\alpha_q(g_* v) &= (g^*\alpha_q) v_p = \alpha_p(v_p) = -\omega_p(v_p,v_p) = 0 \\
&= -\omega_q(v_q, g_*v_p).
\end{align*} [/tex]
That is, I have shown that [itex] -\omega_q(v_q,g_*v_p) = 0 [/itex]. Now a priori there is no reason to suspect that they must be equal, but I feel that this implication may be the key if we combine the fact that v is the unique vector field against whose retraction with [itex] \omega [/itex] the one-form [itex] \alpha [/itex] can be recovered. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. As a scientist who specializes in symplectic geometry, I would be happy to offer some insight into this problem.

Firstly, your approach is on the right track. The key to solving this problem lies in understanding the relationship between the one-form \alpha and the vector field v. As you have correctly identified, v is the unique vector field that satisfies \iota_v \omega = -\alpha. This means that v is the "dual" to \alpha in the sense that \omega(v,\cdot) = -\alpha, where \cdot represents any vector in the tangent space.

Now, let's consider what happens when we apply the symplectomorphism g to v. Since g preserves \alpha, we know that g^*\alpha = \alpha. This means that for any point p \in M, we have g^*\alpha_p = \alpha_{g(p)}. Plugging this into your calculation, we get:

\begin{align*}
\alpha_{g(p)}(g_* v_p) &= (g^*\alpha_{g(p)}) v_p = \alpha_p(v_p) = -\omega_p(v_p,v_p) = 0 \\
&= -\omega_{g(p)}(g_*v_p, g_*v_p).
\end{align*}

Since this holds for all p \in M, we can conclude that g_*v is a vector field that satisfies \iota_{g_*v} \omega = -\alpha. But we know that v is the unique vector field with this property, so we must have g_*v = v.

I hope this helps clarify the solution to this problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to elaborate on any particular point.

Related to Symplectomorphisms preserving tautological one-forms

1. What are symplectomorphisms?

Symplectomorphisms are transformations that preserve the symplectic structure of a manifold. In other words, they preserve the geometric properties of a space that allow for the description of symplectic forms, which are mathematical objects that measure the volume of a space in a way that is invariant under symplectomorphisms.

2. What is a tautological one-form?

A tautological one-form is a special type of symplectic form that can be defined on a cotangent bundle. It is called "tautological" because it is uniquely determined by the structure of the bundle and does not depend on any additional data. It plays an important role in the study of symplectic geometry as it provides a way to relate the geometry of a manifold to the dynamics of its cotangent bundle.

3. How do symplectomorphisms preserve tautological one-forms?

Symplectomorphisms preserve tautological one-forms by preserving the symplectic structure of a manifold. This means that the transformation does not change the volume of the space, which in turn ensures that the tautological one-form remains unchanged. In other words, the transformation preserves the geometric properties that allow for the definition of the tautological one-form.

4. Why is it important for symplectomorphisms to preserve tautological one-forms?

Preserving tautological one-forms is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of the geometry and dynamics of a manifold. By preserving the symplectic structure, symplectomorphisms ensure that the tautological one-form remains an invariant quantity, which can be used to study the properties of a space. This is particularly useful in applications such as mechanics, where the dynamics of a system can be described in terms of the tautological one-form.

5. How are symplectomorphisms and tautological one-forms used in practical applications?

Symplectomorphisms and tautological one-forms have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. In physics, they are used to study the dynamics of physical systems and to understand the behavior of particles in phase spaces. In engineering, they are used to describe the motion of mechanical systems and to design efficient control strategies. In mathematics, they are used to study the topology of manifolds and to prove important theorems in symplectic geometry.