Synchrotron Radiation: Explaining Its Wide Spectrum

• Thread starter CT03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, synchrotron radiation has a wide range of spectrum depending on the velocity and intensity of the magnetic field.
CT03
i am not sure if anyone have asked this question, but can someone explain to me how synchrotron radiation have a wide range of spectrum? I thought that an electron only emit a photon with a spectific range of energy depending on the energy loss.

Science news on Phys.org
CT03 said:
i am not sure if anyone have asked this question, but can someone explain to me how synchrotron radiation have a wide range of spectrum? I thought that an electron only emit a photon with a spectific range of energy depending on the energy loss.
It depends on the acceleration of the electron, which depends on the velocity of the electron and intensity of the magnetic field. The velocity (and kinetic energy) of electrons can be a continuous function.

Are you saying that if an electron have enough energy, it can produce a photon with a wide range of spectrum when accelerated? I thought a photon can only have a discrete amount of energy and therefore a specific wavelength.

The energy of an electron may have discrete values - as when it is 'orbiting' the nucleus of an atom (the Hydrogen Atom is the example everyone starts with. Then it is part of a system, and not on its own.

If you have an electron in a dense material, where there are many atoms around it, then it may have a continuous range of energies (a 'band'). Also, when an electron is 'free' of any nearby charges, it can take a continuum of energy values. You can make it accelerate by giving it a circular path and it can radiate energy. This "synchrotron' radiation can have photons with a range of energies. This is 'classical behaviour' and, was one of the initial problems when trying to build a model of the atom involving orbiting electrons, which 'should' be radiating all the time, but they don't. It required quantum theory to sort it out.
So it is only when an electron has particular quantised energy states (in a system involving other charged particles) that the photons need to have fixed energies. (Each individual photon can, of course, only have one energy value).

Hi CT03-
Synchrotron radiation radiation comes from free high energy electrons (usually over 1 GeV) circulating in synchrotron accelerators and storage rings being transversely deflected (accelerated) by strong magnetic fields. The transverse acceleration is conceptually similar to bremsstrahlung from nuclear Coulomb scattering, except the accelerating force is weaker, and the synchrotron radiation is similar in energy to conventional x-rays. The initial and final states of the electrons are not quantized, and the x-ray spectrum is continuous.
Bob S

Hang on, if all the electrons in a synchrotron got accelerated in the same condition, doesn't that mean they have the same energy? if so shouldn't they produce photons with the same energy range?

Last edited:
Hi CT03
See the example after equation 8,71 in
http://geant4.web.cern.ch/geant4/UserDocumentation/UsersGuides/PhysicsReferenceManual/BackupVersions/V9.0/html/node46.html
A 10-GeV electron in a 1 Tesla field produces photons with a critical (median) energy of 66.5 KeV.
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys. I think i got it.

Related to Synchrotron Radiation: Explaining Its Wide Spectrum

1. What is synchrotron radiation?

Synchrotron radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is produced by charged particles, such as electrons, as they move at high speeds through a magnetic field. It is commonly produced in particle accelerators called synchrotrons, which are used for scientific research and industrial applications.

2. How is the spectrum of synchrotron radiation different from other types of electromagnetic radiation?

The spectrum of synchrotron radiation is much wider than that of other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light or radio waves. This is because synchrotron radiation is produced by accelerating charged particles, which can emit radiation at a wide range of wavelengths, from infrared to X-rays.

3. What makes synchrotron radiation useful for scientific research?

Synchrotron radiation is useful for scientific research because it has a high intensity and a wide spectrum, which allows for detailed studies of materials and molecules. It also has a high degree of polarization, which means that the electromagnetic waves are all oriented in the same direction, making it easier to manipulate and analyze.

4. How is synchrotron radiation used in industrial applications?

Synchrotron radiation has many industrial applications, such as in the production of microchips and pharmaceuticals. It can be used to analyze the structure and composition of materials, as well as to study chemical reactions and processes. It is also used in non-destructive testing and quality control.

5. What are the potential hazards of working with synchrotron radiation?

Synchrotron radiation can be hazardous if proper safety protocols are not followed. The high energy levels of the radiation can cause damage to living tissue, so it is important to use protective equipment and limit exposure. Additionally, the intense X-rays produced by synchrotron radiation can be harmful to sensitive equipment and electronics, requiring specialized shielding and precautions.